Heat seizures.

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
I have duck, Kevin, who seems to have heat (and stress) induced seizures. Although I didn't see it happen it seems like she had one today based on how she was acting - not running around with the others, quite, droppy tail and head ticks, this last is the main indicator. She's 4 years old (and yes Kevin is a girl) and I want he to have a lot happy life. Although they are used to being pulled from the others for one thing or another I'd like to avoid that as the ducks hate it and bringing them inside is smelly and messy. We do refresh they pool twice on hot days but my other monopolize the pool and the girls tend to get a bit catty with each other so Kevin isn't always allowed in the pool despite the fact that it's big enough for almost all of the them. How do you keep your duck/chickens cool on hot days especially when humidity is high? If I can rig something up to keep Kevin comfortable I'd be willing to spend the money if I can make it work.
Any other suggestions for managing heat induced seizures would also be great as I love my babies very much

Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

• 16857512552496893899054105875113.jpg
    16857512552496893899054105875113.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 226
She gets layer feed in spring and summer and regular crumbles when not laying. I add brewers yeast and other supplements with her food daily and have done so for most of their lives except when I haven't been able to get it. She's had this for ever and only when it's really hot and or she's stressed. Plus all the bugs and weeds/grass she can eat while they are out and about during the day. The others get the same and are fine. If it is nacin is there something else I can give them?

She gets layer feed in spring and summer and regular crumbles when not laying. I add brewers yeast and other supplements with her food daily and have done so for most of their lives except when I haven't been able to get it. She's had this for ever and only when it's really hot and or she's stressed. Plus all the bugs and weeds/grass she can eat while they are out and about during the day. The others get the same and are fine. If it is nacin is there something else I can give them?
I should also add that peas are their favorite treat and they get some of those regularly.and Kevin is 4 years old now she never had troubles as a baby.

Any chance she could have found something moldy or toxic?

Any chance she could have found something moldy or toxic?
No. Poops are normal eats fine. She's fine except for the seizures and being off after. And again the others are fine. Every time she has a seizure it's when it's really hot out and typically humid. Its not something that I'll be able to cure of that I am certain and I'm not looking for a diagnosis I've accepted this issue she has I just want to do my part to prevent the seizures which comes down to how I can keep her cool on hot days without have to keep her indoors half the summer. Obviously she has a pool and free access and we try to change it during the day when it's really hot to keep them cool but it's not always enough. What else can I do to give my duckies a way to cool down?

I have duck, Kevin, who seems to have heat (and stress) induced seizures. Although I didn't see it happen it seems like she had one today based on how she was acting - not running around with the others, quite, droppy tail and head ticks, this last is the main indicator. She's 4 years old (and yes Kevin is a girl) and I want he to have a lot happy life. Although they are used to being pulled from the others for one thing or another I'd like to avoid that as the ducks hate it and bringing them inside is smelly and messy. We do refresh they pool twice on hot days but my other monopolize the pool and the girls tend to get a bit catty with each other so Kevin isn't always allowed in the pool despite the fact that it's big enough for almost all of the them. How do you keep your duck/chickens cool on hot days especially when humidity is high? If I can rig something up to keep Kevin comfortable I'd be willing to spend the money if I can make it work.
Any other suggestions for managing heat induced seizures would also be great as I love my babies very much

Thanks in advanced!
It's been super hot for this area/time of year in western PA last few days, 91 deg F today and i've been putting frozen jugs of water in the run so they can sit or lean on them if they need to cool off, floating a frozen bottle in their water and offering them frozen treats. Had a fan blowing in the coop. That all seemed to help. The run roof is painted white to reflect heat.

It's been super hot for this area/time of year in western PA last few days, 91 deg F today and i've been putting frozen jugs of water in the run so they can sit or lean on them if they need to cool off, floating a frozen bottle in their water and offering them frozen treats. Had a fan blowing in the coop. That all seemed to help. The run roof is painted white to reflect heat.
Love the frozen bottle ideas! I'll have to try that! I am also looking into mini fans that would be good for outside to blow on them as

Back
Top Bottom