Heat source for chicks

Kaitgray89

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2023
Upstate SC
I am currently researching heat sources to use in the brooder. I’ve pretty much decided against a heat lamp due to the fire hazard. I had a house fire as a child due to a dryer so this is a massive fear for me. I have also decided on an outdoor brooder. I live in upstate SC and while it has been chilly lately, by the middle of April it’s usually very warm.

With that being said, what have you used as a heat source for your chicks and why?

I would recommend the Rent-A-Coop heating plate. They have different sizes to fit different amounts of baby chicks. And I would also splurge on the no-roost cover. It'll save you a lot of time cleaning poop off the top of it.

I got chicks for the first time this past August. I bought the biggest heat plate they had, figuring they over-exaggerated the number. It was too big for what I needed, but did the job. They will be 30 weeks on Sunday, and I'm getting eggs every day. LOL

Attachments

• 20220904_223741.jpg
    20220904_223741.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have used a reptile bulb aka ceramic heat emitter. These bulbs fit in a clamp light fixture. They emit heat but no light. What’s nice about that is the chicks sleep all night.
It only keeps the area directly under it warm. The rest of the brooder is the ambient temp, which mimics a mama hen.
FFBCB1E4-6544-401E-9FDB-1DD89CA8E0DF.jpeg cme.jpg

Last edited:
The brooder shelf’s are a great idea if that’s what they’re called 😂 the heated black thingy I’m sorry I’m having a brain fart

This is my first time raising chicks ( but not chickens) i used the mama heating pad. Im guessing its similar to a heat plate. But more diy. Tractor supply had some nice size heat plates last time i was there. For like $40. Which is basically what i payed to put my heating pad brooder together. It works great though.

Btw im also in upstate SC. Howdy neighbor 👋

This is my first time raising chicks ( but not chickens) i used the mama heating pad. Im guessing its similar to a heat plate. But more diy. Tractor supply had some nice size heat plates last time i was there. For like $40. Which is basically what i payed to put my heating pad brooder together. It works great though.

Btw im also in upstate SC. Howdy neighbor 👋
Hello hello!

I found a brooder plate that can be a coop heater later own. I just got the chicks today so we will see how it goes!🤞🏻

I have 4 day old chicks right now. I started with a red heat lamp 250 watt. But I couldn’t get the temp just right so I ditched it for a heat plate and I use a ceramic bulb 100 watt. They are in my entryway. So the thermal temp is 80 but warmer under the heat plate. It works pretty good. They will let you know if they are distressed. Loud peeping! So far they been sleeping very good! I plan to move them to the shed when they are 2 weeks. I will move the heat system with them.
I still have red lights - 250 watt. I hang them and wire them- so 3 ways attached. Those need to be dusted often.
I do like the ceramic light because it keeps it dark and the chicks are quiet all night.

I have 4 day old chicks right now. I started with a red heat lamp 250 watt. But I couldn’t get the temp just right so I ditched it for a heat plate and I use a ceramic bulb 100 watt. They are in my entryway. So the thermal temp is 80 but warmer under the heat plate. It works pretty good. They will let you know if they are distressed. Loud peeping! So far they been sleeping very good! I plan to move them to the shed when they are 2 weeks. I will move the heat system with them.
I still have red lights - 250 watt. I hang them and wire them- so 3 ways attached. Those need to be dusted often.
I do like the ceramic light because it keeps it dark and the chicks are quiet all night.
I had a house fire growing up so I do not want to use the red heat lamps whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom