Heat Source For Homemade Bators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by millebantam, Nov 26, 2008.

1. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    I'm in the process of building my own cabinet style incubator, and I'm trying to figure out the most efficient heat source. I have seen many home-built ones with a porcelain socket and a lightbulb. I'm thinking of canibalizing one of my old Hovabators and mounting the heating element from that up top and incorporating a fan to circulate the air. I'd really appreciate any suggestions that others may have used successfully. Thanks in advance, Jim.

2. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    I have had success with a socket and a spiral fluorescent bulb.
    I used a small computer case fan to circulate the air and had a great hatch with the last button quail eggs I hatched.

For humidity I simply used jars of water with sponges sticking from the top.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I tried the heat element out of a foam incubator in my fridge-incubator an it never would get it up to temp. It was out side so it may work in one in the house. I have my thermostat switching a outlet on an off an plugged a hair dryer in to it on low. It kept it steady even in 18* weather. An If it dies I can just plug in a new one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by