Heat source or no heat source??Transitioning outdoors!

Gabtods

Chirping
May 16, 2020
PNW
Chicks are 5weeks tomorrow! We want to get them into their coop/run at 6 weeks. They’ve been spending a lot of time outside when it’s not raining, but we still use a 75watt heat light in their indoor brooder at night.
We live in the PNW so the daytime temps are 60s/ low 70s and nighttime temps are low 50s. They are feather well ( I think) with the exception of a few of their heads...but how would you transition them this last week before they move into the coop?

Ideally I would rather not have to set up another heat source in the coop, but will do what is needed of course!

Take them off heat completely, then you can move them out in a few days/by end of week.

I have same temps as yours (and rain) and I'm yanking the heat on my 3 1/2 week old chicks tomorrow. Difference is mine are used to being outside so they're used to these temperatures. I also let them decide if they want to deal with the rain or take shelter from it, they need to figure it out since we have a lot of rainy days on the horizon.

Back
Top Bottom