heat sources for winter

kukree

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
I have two bantam Cochins and one light Sussex.
I wanted to know if anyone has heaters for their
bantams. All comments will be much appreciated.
I look forward to hearing from everyone
Thank you

welcome-byc.gif
from California, where are you located? How cold does it get?

try one of them red 250 or 500 watt lightss at the feed store or walmart in a flood light is your roost in closed? if so this ill do the trick and won`t cost much  hope this helps

thanks very much for replying. what do u mean
by is my roost enclosed?

im from Cardiff. I think it gets to about -4 or -5
celcius here. last year we didn't have too much snow
(thank god), but we did get some frost

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Chicks need extra heating in the coop until they are fully feathered which is at around 6-7 weeks of age. Older chickens can regulate their body temperature and don't need extra heat, just a cozy draught free coop.

on you coop where thay sleep do you have 3 walls or 4 or do you free range and put them in a house at night here it gets real hot in the summers and a lot of bobcats so I have mine in a coop that is fenced in with a top and a roost with a top and 3 walls when winter comes I have a nother wall that I can put up made of clear fibber glass like used on green houses that has a door this lets light in in the day to heat it up then night I have 2 lights one red heat light for cold nights and one house hold that is on a timer that runs tell 10 pm so as to help with the day light see you need 10 to 16 hours day light to keep up egg pro. hope this help ya

Here in central NC where 'cold, cold' is anything below freezing. 'Really, Really Cold' is below 20F. It rarely gets that cold here. So during the winter when it's below freezing I do this and it works for us. It may not work up North or out West where it gets 'Really, Really Cold' all winter long but it works here. What I do is to take the Gals plastic 5-gallon waterer after they've gone into their coop for the night and I fill it with very hot water all the way up. This means boiling water and hot tap water (about 2 gallons of boiling water, 3 gallons of hot tap water). I've never tested it for temp. Then I place the waterer in the middle of their coop which is a 4X8X4 structure inside their run and close it up for the night. There's good ventilation up high but no drafts so humidity doesn't seem to be a problem. The next morning I sit it back out on the concrete blocks in the run when I open the pop door to the coop. It's still pretty warm to the touch at 6AM. I have a remote thermometer in the coop that I can read back in the house and the temp in the coop always stays above 40F in the morning before I open things up.

It's too far from the house to run a cord out to the coop and put in a heat lamp or anything like that. I do have a solar powered light inside the coop that works well and stays on at least two or three hours after dark. This way I can close everything up when I go out to lock them up at dark and they can move around for a bit. Its also supposed to help with egg laying but I've not seen that yet.

Hello and welcome to BYC :frow  Chicks need extra heating in the coop until they are fully feathered which is at around 6-7 weeks of age. Older chickens can regulate their body temperature and don't need extra heat, just a cozy draught free coop.

thanks a lot :)
I was a bit worries about my bantams, kuz they r pretty small

on you coop where thay sleep do you have 3 walls or 4 or do you free range and put them in a house at night  here it gets real hot in the summers and a lot of bobcats so I have mine in a coop that is fenced in with a top and a roost with a top and 3 walls when winter comes I have a nother wall that I can put up made of clear fibber glass like used on green houses that has a door this lets light in  in the day to heat it up then night I have 2 lights one red heat light for cold nights and one house hold that is on a timer that runs tell 10 pm so as to help with the day light see you need 10 to 16 hours day light to keep up egg pro. hope this help ya

they play outside during the day, and I have a house for them when it's
raining and in the night. the problem is that i have two doors to the garage
and one of them is the flip up ones, so cold air can come in. I put a
big bunch of hay there for them so they can b cosy at night

Back
Top Bottom