Heat stress and water...

Panhandler80

Songster
Feb 11, 2020
NW Florida
So, I noticed my 19 week old chickens panting a little bit this past weekend. I really didn't think much of it at the time, but perhaps I should. They have quite a bit of shade, and full time access to the coop which is very well ventilated and usually noticeably cooler than outside the coop. I feel pretty confident that there is enough shade for all of them to cool off, and MOST days by the time it's really hot, there's a bit of a breeze to also help.

Here's my question... I just came across this article, https://www.communitychickens.com/about-heat-stress-and-keeping-your-flock-cooled-down/ and it says, " Shade and fresh, clean water accessible to all your hens is first and foremost in importance. Nipple style watering systems are not recommended as their only water source. It’s possible for chickens higher in the pecking order to block the others from getting water. It’s important to have many water sources available, like watering tubes or open pans of water, especially in the summer!"

Currently all of their water is supplied by horizontal nipples, so I got a little nervous. I'd hate to think that some of the chickens aren't getting water. However, my nipple set up may be a little different from what the article's author was thinking. I have a total of 21 chickens. I have three nipples inside the coop, each probably 18" apart. Immediately next to the coop and in the run is another set of three nipples (also about 18" apart) that are usually all in the shade. 10-12 feet away, there is another set of three nipples approximately 18" apart. Another 10-12 feet away is yet a fourth set of nipples 18" apart from each other. In between each watering station, the PVC pipe goes under ground, which I'm sure helps keep it a little bit cooler. Pipe is also white, so it's reflecting a lot of heat where it is above ground. Lastly, at least portions of exposed pipe are shaded at various times during the day. Pipe is full time pressurized by elevated drum of water that is shaded 100% of the time.

- In MY MIND, with this set up, no one nipple would ever dispense water so warm that it wouldn't serve to cool the chickens.

- I have also witnessed chickens inside the coop drinking while other chickens are at other stations.

- Total of 12 nipples for 21 chickens

- To date I have noticed virtually zero bullying.

I'm new to this, but my gut tells me my watering system is just fine. Water certainly feels cool enough to the touch. Plus they've been outside for 15 weeks with no bullying. Seems like that tendency, if it was going to manifest itself, would have done so by now.

My chickens have never had anything but horizontal nipple waterers since about 2 weeks old. It gets very hot here in the summer. Whomever wrote that article you referenced is incorrect, IMO and your experience proves it, too. Never had a chicken die of thirst yet or be denied water by other chickens. Sometimes you have to keep doing what works for you and ignore the "egg spurts."

Some hot chickens enjoy standing in water to cool off. Fill a kitty litter pan or something similar shallow holds 2-3 gallons of water and place it in the shade. Kills 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

Not sure why I'm opposed to that. I guess just the prospect of something else to clean, get crapped in, nastiness they'll likely end up drinking, etc. Would probably do the trick if I felt like cleaning / changing it every day, though.

I still think they are fine with current set up. Will more closely monitor going forward. It has been pretty freakin' hot here lately.

My chickens have 3 different watering stations, 1 being a pan they can stand in if they want to. I'll also freeze a shallow pan every night and put it out there for them around noon when it starts to warm up. They stand on the ice, sip from it, one even lays ontop of it when it's hot enough.

EL and ice pans work here....
won't stop them from panting ro wing lifting, but relieves enough heat stress so they eat well.
Yes, you have to rinse the pans daily, I don't worry too much about them getting a bit poopy.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hot-weather-spiel.75893/

I also use HN's, water consumption from nipple jugs drops drastically when pans are employed....goes back up when it's cool enough not to need ice pans.

EL and ice pans work here....
won't stop them from panting ro wing lifting, but relieves enough heat stress so they eat well.
Yes, you have to rinse the pans daily, I don't worry too much about them getting a bit poopy.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hot-weather-spiel.75893/

I also use HN's, water consumption from nipple jugs drops drastically when pans are employed....goes back up when it's cool enough not to need ice pans.

10-4. My nipples are hooked up to 55 gallons, so I'm too worried about consumption there.

Almost every time I check on them a few are hitting the feeders, so I'm pretty sure they aren't stressed to the point that they aren't eating.

Back
Top Bottom