Heat stroke? White spots in throat??

Jan 17, 2021
My rooster I believe had a heat stroke a few months ago but I was able to save him by pumping him full of vitamins (or it was a vitamin deficiency. honestly idk.) But anyways it happened again but now its worse...he is awake and seems to be alert. His legs work fine but he cant walk. Vitamins arent working. This morning I went to give him straight water and I noticed white spots in his throat. After he drank, he made weird noises like maybe it hurt going down or something...Thoughts??? my gut tells me hes gonna pass and i dont know what I should do.

Do you know what Marek's disease is?

Can you get pictures of inside his mouth?

My rooster I believe had a heat stroke a few months ago but I was able to save him by pumping him full of vitamins (or it was a vitamin deficiency. honestly idk.) But anyways it happened again but now its worse...he is awake and seems to be alert. His legs work fine but he cant walk. Vitamins arent working. This morning I went to give him straight water and I noticed white spots in his throat. After he drank, he made weird noises like maybe it hurt going down or something...Thoughts??? my gut tells me hes gonna pass and i dont know what I should do.
Could you post some pictures showing the white in his throat?
How does he smell around the head, is there a foul odour coming from his throat?

He might be suffering from candida or cancer.

Did you inspect him thoroughly for lice and poultry mites? And the coop as well?

OP has quite a few other threads that would be worth reading.

Could you post some pictures showing the white in his throat?
How does he smell around the head, is there a foul odour coming from his throat?

He might be suffering from candida or cancer.

Did you inspect him thoroughly for lice and poultry mites? And the coop as well?
Candida was what I was wondering about. I dont think it Mareks because he doesnt have those main red flags. I can check for mites and lice but he really should be good since everything was deep cleaned recently.

Candida was what I was wondering about. I dont think it Mareks because he doesnt have those main red flags. I can check for mites and lice but he really should be good since everything was deep cleaned recently.
Skimming your other threads it seems you have been losing birds recently.
I highly recommend that you send your next loss to your state lab for a necropsy.

What state are you in?

Skimming your other threads it seems you have been losing birds recently.
I highly recommend that you send your next loss to your state lab for a necropsy.

What state are you in?
VA. I lost one bird mysteriously and another to what i'm assuming what the heat.

I cannot see the vent either because of poop...which could be good because hes actually defecating, which I dont think he was the lat few days. I switched over to just straight cold water rather than vitamin water and hes chowing down.

I cannot see the vent either because of poop...which could be good because hes actually defecating, which I dont think he was the lat few days. I switched over to just straight cold water rather than vitamin water and hes chowing down.
Grab him and give him a nice rear end bath with warm epsom salt water.
Then towel him dry and check his vent area closely for possible fly strike or similar.

When did you last deworm your chickens?

okay! I was finally able to soak him. I did not see anything and I have not done a deworm before (new at this)...I will say, he is seriously sucking down water but i have not seen him eat. Also, he smells...BAD. I cant get the smell out of my nose. Its been like this for 2 weeks now and im wondering if he needs put down

Back
Top Bottom