Heat stroke

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
When I woke up this morning I realized it was already noon and the chickens/ducks hadn’t been let out. When I opened the doors, 9 had already passed away and two are in critical condition. Due to my narcolepsy, this isn’t the first time it’s happened. I feel like the shittiest owner every time. I will be setting up fans in there as soon as possible. And adding ice in the waterers every night.

my question is, how can I pull them out of this? The silkie roo is doing the best. He is alert, holding his head up and somewhat drinking. The hen is the worst, but she is awake and alert. She can’t hold herself up, but she can move her head and is making lots of unhappy noises when I mess with her. My sister ran to the store to get Pedialyte. I made some scrambled eggs which are sitting in the fridge to cool off a bit. I have them sitting on cold towels, and I’m syringing them water. What else can I do?

Attachments

• 291F3907-C3A9-46E6-A522-F2288F9C006F.jpeg
    291F3907-C3A9-46E6-A522-F2288F9C006F.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 20
If the house is air-conditioned, maybe bring them indoors for an hour or so, to cool down.

For future, maybe consider an automatic chicken door.
They are inside. I’m going to keep them inside until they are stable enough to go back out.
And I plan on looking into automatic doors.

The hen is doing so much better. After she took a nap it seemed like it flipped a switch. She got up, walked in circles for a bit before exploring the couch and eventually jumping off to explore the living room. I think she had problems seeing earlier, as she didn’t react to movement and her pupils weren’t reacting to light. The rooster can stand up, and is eating and drinking he’s just very tired. I’m keeping a very close eye on him.

Attachments

• 0108E4F7-E068-4A82-B166-1A474B997BD4.jpeg
    0108E4F7-E068-4A82-B166-1A474B997BD4.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 7
When I woke up this morning I realized it was already noon and the chickens/ducks hadn’t been let out. When I opened the doors, 9 had already passed away and two are in critical condition. Due to my narcolepsy, this isn’t the first time it’s happened. I feel like the shittiest owner every time. I will be setting up fans in there as soon as possible. And adding ice in the waterers every night.

my question is, how can I pull them out of this? The silkie roo is doing the best. He is alert, holding his head up and somewhat drinking. The hen is the worst, but she is awake and alert. She can’t hold herself up, but she can move her head and is making lots of unhappy noises when I mess with her. My sister ran to the store to get Pedialyte. I made some scrambled eggs which are sitting in the fridge to cool off a bit. I have them sitting on cold towels, and I’m syringing them water. What else can I do?

Wow I am so sorry this happened to you. Try getting an alarm for the hard of hearing because they are super loud to tide you over (if you think that will working with narcolepsy) before getting an automatic door, but please don't delay. We've all have challenges, but we've got to take the responsibility in addressing them. I hope everyone is doing better <3 I can only imagine how you feel.

Wow I am so sorry this happened to you. Try getting an alarm for the hard of hearing because they are super loud to tide you over (if you think that will working with narcolepsy) before getting an automatic door, but please don't delay. We've all have challenges, but we've got to take the responsibility in addressing them. I hope everyone is doing better <3 I can only imagine how you feel.
I’ve tried alarms, but they never work. I have the volume set as high as possible with headphones to try and help, and some mornings it works. I think the reason it was so bad this morning was I haven’t slept in a few days and mentally have been on autopilot. So I just crashed.
But I’ve talked to my sister, and she said if they aren’t let out before she leaves for work she will let them out and wake me up. I feel so horrible for failing them as an owner. I’m going to take every possible precaution for this to never happen again.

I’ve tried alarms, but they never work. I have the volume set as high as possible with headphones to try and help, and some mornings it works. I think the reason it was so bad this morning was I haven’t slept in a few days and mentally have been on autopilot. So I just crashed.
But I’ve talked to my sister, and she said if they aren’t let out before she leaves for work she will let them out and wake me up. I feel so horrible for failing them as an owner. I’m going to take every possible precaution for this to never happen again.
My husband was joking and said put a window ac into your coop

My husband was joking and said put a window ac into your coop
I used to have one in my old coop, but it broke down and I haven’t been able to find a cheap once since. And I’d have to find a way to cut a hole in the shed, but I have used them before and would love to get another.

Back
Top Bottom