Heat Tolerant Breeds??

magoobi

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
I've been looking up different breeds online and notice they tell you if the breed tolerates cold, but not heat. I live in the desert southwest. We have 100+ degree days for several months out of the year. I am wondering if there are breeds that handle the heat better than others.

We are in Florida so we deal with high heat and humidity for 4 months of the year. Our Leghorns, Black Sex-Links and EE's have all laid at least 5 eggs per week per each right through the heat and humidity.

I live in Texas and we had record breaking consecutive 100+ degree days this summer. All of the chickens in my signature did just fine. I just made sure they had adequate water and if they seemed to be panting more than usual, I dunked them in water or hosed them off. The CM, BR and one Aussie continued to lay eggs without a glitch, the rest slowed down a little bit.

The research I've done for the steamy southeast indicates that Australorps and Delawares would best suit my conditions.

Other breeds that came up in my search were Fayoumi, Naked Necks, and pretty much any of the Mediterranean breeds.

I was warned against Wyandottes, Orpingtons, and any other breed that has abundant, loose, fluffy feathers.

I have no chickens yet and so no experience so take that for what its worth.
smile.png

oh boy..im hearing that Wyandotte,and Orphingtons don't do so well in hot weather ..hot as in "close to 100 and over" most of the summer...dry heat though.....I cant seem to find information on heat tolerant...just cold tolerant...anyone know??

Go to Feathersite in the chicken section. Search the breeds and where they originated. Those that come from hot climates would be good to choose from . Best breeds ? Matter of opinion. Good Luck

Contrary to what you may think, Delawares are not as heat tolerant as you would expect of a white chicken. Mine are the first to pant and hang their wings, even before the Orpingtons. It could be because their musculature is so dense, but I'm not really sure. Others have had that same experience with theirs as well. I almost lost my Delaware rooster twice last summer, which was unusually hot and humid for much longer than we normally get here at our elevation in the mtns.

My Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers seem to do quite well as do my Rocks, but then, an unusually hot summer for us is 90* and 80% humidity. It's like breathing water sometimes at that combination.

Last edited:
Thanks Oldhound....Ill check that out.
All my other beasts manage but one never knows..Ive never had anyone die from the heat or suffer to much..so....

Back
Top Bottom