Heat with 5/6 wk old chickens in CT

Sub1427

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2021
Hey everyone, new chicken dad here. My 3 gals and one roo have been in my garage for the past 5 weeks. Temps averaged 70s with supplemental heat lamp near their box but not shining in. My coop is all set up outside but Temps are gonna hit 90 plus this week. They have been sleeping in it at night this week (Temps mid 70s and really seem to be loving it) My question is are they okay to be out in that heat with water access? The actual coop doesn't ever get direct sunlight but I see them panting and it makes me nervous. What do you think is the right call here? They are not fully feathered out yet either... Almost there.

Hey everyone, new chicken dad here. My 3 gals and one roo have been in my garage for the past 5 weeks. Temps averaged 70s with supplemental heat lamp near their box but not shining in. My coop is all set up outside but Temps are gonna hit 90 plus this week. They have been sleeping in it at night this week (Temps mid 70s and really seem to be loving it) My question is are they okay to be out in that heat with water access? The actual coop doesn't ever get direct sunlight but I see them panting and it makes me nervous. What do you think is the right call here? They are not fully feathered out yet either... Almost there.
You don’t need heat anymore, it’s hot enough...

You don’t need heat anymore, it’s hot enough...
I understand that. My question is it going to be too hot at 90 plus for the gals?? Went from low 70s to the coop that will see 95+ degrees today and even hotter in the actual coop which they still don't know how to leave (they stay in even when the door is opened in the am)

What have you done to mitigate the heat? That might even mean removing a side of the coop to maximize air flow. They need to stay out.
It's breezy and they are totally shaded.... But the coop itself is closed up minus the door leading down into the shaded run... They just don't want to leave the coop... They don't know any better yet.

Are you able to pick them up and physically put them into the shaded run?
Of course... They are getting the hang of it now... But they are bad about going back in the coop at sundown... I work late nights and every night I get home i have to put them in the coop at 11-12pm.. Hope they get the hang of it soon!

Where I am.... the heat with humidity makes it well into the 100's....
They have shade and plenty of water and loose ground they like to settle down into... I've found locking them out of the coop solved the flaw of them wanting to stay inside... I actually only needed to lock them out for a month or so -- they're creatures of habit, and after that, they don't usually go in until it's about to be too dark for them to see.

For your late night bedding them down though..... They'll be ok, but you have to consider predators. Sooner or later, they'll catch on that the flock is out and will come for dinner and snacks....in a bad way.

I can't think of an idea that would help them go in on their own before darkness sets in, but I can tell you sooner or later they'll be missing by the time you get there after dark. It's not if, it's when....

Maybe you have a neighbor you're in good with that wouldn't mind showing them it's time to go in.... gently redirecting them into the coop....and lock the door once they're in. They may be needing a training reminder that going in before dark is the plan.

I have heard of this problem before, and to some degree I've had bits of this -- gentle nudging them in for a few days was usually enough for them to get back into the habit.

The other side of this is that they HAVE to come out in the morning so they're not in their own private baking oven. I can vouch for this personally....

They are smart, but then, they're not, so we need to act on their behalf more than just food and water and shelter.

Keep going, you'll get this solved in no time.

Back
Top Bottom