Heat

drmusic

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Sterlington LA
I lost half of my flock today (2 of 4), I am assuming that it is due to heat. I added shade, a fan, and a pan of water for wading for my remaining girls. Any suggestions for them?

Keep it up.

Deep shade with air movement. Wading pools and electrolytes in the water is about all you can do.
For at night, hang gallon jugs of frozen water at roost height so the birds can sidle next to them.
Lay off of heat generating food like scratch grains.

What breeds did you lose?

Last edited:
I don't know what the high temp was today but when I came inside after it started to cool it was 106. A couple of hours later the power went out and they started fussing loudly at the stopped fan.

Sorry about your flock I'm in Texas and we've had a week of hundred degree weather we bought a personal mister from home depot and we have it spraying into the run we use a wind maker fan to circulate the spray mist we have a thermometer hung up and that set up has worked well and brings the temp down to about 85 we almost lost our Leghorn last year to heat exhaustion so we decided not to take any chances this year I am scared to look at my water bill this month as a matter of fact my bf and I were joking that our ladies don't even know it's summer this year

Thanks. I thought that they would be okay since there is nothing to trap the heat and they had shade. I was wrong. One died in the nest box after laying an egg. We are in northeast Louisiana and we have topped 100 degrees every day for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom