Please Help! I have 3 dead chickens in the past 3 days and 6 more that are ill. Is this sickness or heat related?

I don't see anything definitive. They look like chickens in the heat. Since they're congregating in front of the fan, and not moving around much, that would be my guess. I honestly would work on some cooling options, try to provide more shade if you can, change water often so it stays cool, so some of the other suggested things to help cool them. When the inside of my coop gets hot I put a frozen water filled jug (milk jug/vinegar jug, etc.) in front of a box fan, works like a primitive air conditioner, and will bring it down a few degrees. Older birds, birds with any kind of illness, over weight birds, those will often be more affected by the heat. Some heavier breeds and breeds with smaller combs also will tend to have more issues.
I lost a bird last week, one of my older hens, and I suspect the heat was at least part of the issue. It's a good idea to have a hose or bucket filled with water, (not cold, just cooler than the air) handy in case of heat stress or stroke, so you can cool them quickly. But you have to catch it when it happens. A couple of years ago I found an hen unresponsive when I went to freshen water, she was breathing, so I immediately put the hose on her. After a few minutes she started to respond so then I ran her in the house and put her in the sink with cool water. After about 1/2 an hour she was able to hold herself up. She stayed in the house several days before she was able to go out to the flock, and I kept a close eye on her when it was hot as they can be at higher risk of a repeat. But sometimes you can get lucky and save them if you get there in time. If it's been too long, they may have organ damage. I lost one several years ago to heat stroke, her internal temperature was almost 120 degrees, no lie. She was hot to the touch, especially under her wings. Necropsy showed early fatty liver disease, which probably made her more susceptible. So over all health can make a difference too.

Back
Top Bottom