Heat?

Tom Holwerda

Hatching
Dec 3, 2020
Nights get cold but seldom freezing here in NORCAL (Petaluma). Thelma and Louise have a coop, but prefer to roost outside. Should I try to rig some kind of heater for the girls?

Heat won't be necessary. Most BYCers tend to agree that chickens don't need supplemental heat. I've seen folks on here who have temps below 0* F without issues. I personally have used heat on the rare nights that temps dip below 10*, but in the two years of chicken keeping, it's happened maybe five nights.

Welcome to BYC by the way! You've found a GREAT resource for chickens!

Edited to add: You should ensure you have adequate ventilation at the top near the roof of the coop. This allows respiratory and poop moisture to exit the coop. The higher the humidity, the more likely the birds are to suffer from the cold temps, or even have frost bite. Good draft-free ventilation is your friend!

Nights get cold but seldom freezing here in NORCAL (Petaluma). Thelma and Louise have a coop, but prefer to roost outside. Should I try to rig some kind of heater for the girls?
1606528678036.jpg

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

No.. they will quickly become predator feed.

You *should* (IMO) lock them into their coop for about a week or two to train them to it..

OR call them inside with a treat in the evening and lock them in. It's a matter of life and death and has NOTHING to do with the weather in Petaluma. ;)

Chickens are insulated with down jackets which cover their feet when hunkered down and they tuck their comb and beaks in to keep warm.

I'm a little farther Norcal, and offer this advice from my heart with LOTS of experience. :fl

A heater where you are? Absolutely not.

I don't know what your coop and run look like, if you only have two chickens it might be pretty small. But I train mine to sleep inside. Every night at dark lock them inside the coop. Don't let them out until the next morning. Be consistent doing this every night until they get the message and go in on their own.

Back
Top Bottom