Heated metal base outside?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wyo Chick, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have enough room in my chicken house for a waterer. I have it outside. I have read abou the heated base and it says to keep inside. Has anyone tried it outside? Or what can I use outside to heat a metal chicken waterer.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Don't use it outside!

What I do is use those black rubber fortex tubs and turn them upside down when we get frozen water, and step on the bowl, and the ice slips right out. Then I bring fresh water from the house twice a day to refill.

If you don't get much freezing weather you can get by with this (assuming you can make the trek a couple times a day). We just don't have the water freeze all that often here.

Do you have room in your coop for a heated dog bowl? They are smaller, some of them.

1 person likes this.
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I use a bird bath heater in the water bucket. Throw it into the bucket of water, plug it in. It keeps the water from freezing, bullet-proof.

Chris

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I use the heated metal bases in my coops.

If used outside moisture from rain or snow could get under it and soak up thru the electric components that are inside.

Mine do not take up much room in corner of the coop.

What I have found is the plastic waterers work great on them even tho instructions say only to use metal waterers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by