1. SarasotaClucker

SarasotaClucker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    I live in Florida so I hadn't given much thought to the perch design of flat boards people have been recommending so that the birds can hunker down and keep their toes warm when temperatures plummet.

Got me to wondering about the possibility of a heated perch and whether warm feet would warm the blood and the circulation would help keep combs warm enough to not freeze.

If I were going to attempt one I'd probably use soil-heating cable used by folks to improve germination. You could rout a channel down the perch, drop the cable in and plug it in with a thermostat. The one I'm showing a link to can be set as low as 68 degrees. Since the cable is designed to be buried in moist soil, coop conditions shouldn't be an issue.

The cable and thermostat seem like they would run about $60 -- rich for my blood, but its clear from some of the coop designs that $60 would be an incidental expense for some.

Just a thought.

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    I think it would be a fire hazard since chickens will peck at any thing.

3. SarasotaClucker

SarasotaClucker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Quote:Could be.. but this is pretty heavy-looking cable... I suppose it could run on the bottom of the perch and warm the wood. That would reduce the hot-foot potential.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I live in Florida

If it ever gets cold enough there to need heated perches, the rest of the country will be glaciated​

5. Big George

Big George Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Chickens give off 8 BTU's apiece and can keep warm in freezing temps given shelter from the elements. So no I don't think you need to heat a roosting bar.

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Could be.. but this is pretty heavy-looking cable... I suppose it could run on the bottom of the perch and warm the wood. That would reduce the hot-foot potential.

I think I'm not sure But I agree it might be a fire hazard

7. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Interesting Idea....

For those of us who decided not to heat our coops it could be a little comfort at night when they are not moving around.

Hmm...How about a water line heat tape for a cheaper option? It might break the chill?

Like this for $22.87:
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...ctId=24436-72436-AHB-016&detail=cr&lpage=none

I agree you could attach it by routing a hole in the bottom like this. My roost is landscaping timbers.
    Chickens could NOT reach it from the bottom and i don't think it would be much of a hazard.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Not needed in florida I'm sure.

Our high today is 40 and its snowing right now, my girls have been out and about.
    No heated anything in the coop right now - I will add a heated waterer in a couple of weeks, and thats it.

9. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Quote:If it ever gets cold enough there to need heated perches, the rest of the country will be glaciated

[​IMG]

10. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    You Floridians crack me up - "it's 50 degrees - get out the down coats!"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Hehe - just giving you a hard time. I live at around 5,000' and get some pretty serious cold snaps during the winter and I don't intend on providing any heat for the chickens - perhaps their water if it comes to it, but I'm going to see how things go this winter...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by