Heated Roosting Pole

Bugdude

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
So im wondering if anyone has ever experimented with heated roosting pole?

Its starting to get a bit colder and aside from placing a heat light in the coop I was thinking maybe I could heat a roosting pole or something.
Any ideas?

We have gotten really cold here in IL. like 2-4 degrees in the mornings with a -13 windchill. No heated pole for us. I use 2x4 for roosts. The chickens just ruffle themselves up and sit on their feet. I figure if I spoil them they will never go out of the coop.

yeah... best they stay a little tough and they stick to their instinctive behaviour. If power goes out on a really cold night, they need to be able to hunker down. Turn them into total sissies and they'll really suffer when the chips are down. Really they usually manage very well with minimal help.

Its starting to get a bit colder and aside from placing a heat light in the coop I was thinking maybe I could heat a roosting pole or something.
Any ideas?
Yes mine loves it. I need to get another one because I have 13 chickens and there fighting over it. I got the 36" long.

Any ideas?
I know everyone is saying that chickens can survive very cold weather but I'm sorry, my chickens are acting very depressed and I can see them shivering. They don't want to scratch the ground either. That might be because of the snow but everyone tells me that chickens love's snow. Not mine! I let my chickens out through the day and if they see snow on the ground then they just turn around like they don't want to touch the snow. I don't know that much about chickens but I can tell when they don't like something. But I got the heated roosting pole and they love it. They fight over it so I need to get another one.

I have always read that chickens do not like snow. in the years I have had chickens that has proved to be the case I can open up the run so they can get out into the larger area but if there's snow out there they won't even go out even if I throw food a couple of feet out into the snow they won't go out and get it. My chickens do not like the snow

Back
Top Bottom