Heated water bowls and extension cords

I have two water bowls, one for dogs other for chickens, I've always used extension cords. I do, however, run the lines thru white pvc pipe and secure it to a post or wall. Even tho the lines are circled with metal wire, so to speak, my dogs have been known to pull out nails with their teeth (just kidding, but I take no changes with them). I was just over at Murdoch's and the chicken lady there gave me a great idea. I have had issues with the water getting dirty just about every day. Place a piece of plywood (or anything flat) to cover 3/4 of the bowl, with a rock to weigh it down. This way they can still drink but it keeps the dirt down quite a bit. I'm going to try that today.

I use an aquarium heater for my bowls. i give water in a dog 1 gal holding tank.. heater works fine, plus i do use an outdoor ext. cord.. no issues so far..

I need to come up with a solution for going away a night or two over the holidays and keeping my chickens water from freezing while we're gone. !
Watering
For along time I used heater tape around a bucket with chicken watering nipples. It worked excellent. However me being me I neglected to change the water as often as I should. This is what it looks like and it thermostatically controlled to come on at just above the freezing temperature. You would have to wrap it to suit your particular application if it is viable for your set up. It is available at Home Depot in Canada.

Last edited:
We have been in the process of building our first chicken coop, it will have power and lights just for this reason you are speaking of, I don't want the worry when we go camping etc. Here is what I know about those heated electric bowls with extension cords, I had spoke with my neighbor about this exact thing a week or so ago because I noticed that they have 2 heated water bowls in their chicken coop and are each plugged into a 100 foot electrical cord. (each bowl has their own extension cord!) My neighbor said they have done this for 10 plus years and we live in Montana and they have NEVER had any problems with using extension cords for their heated bowls. So there you have it, that's all I know. I hope this helps?

Try using a crock pot set on "warm"
worked great, never froze except chickens
refused to try out the new contraption.
Sloshed the water around so that they
would get the idea but they stubbornly
ignored it. Any ideas about how to get
chickens to switch to a new idea?

Got enough answers and response yet? I have 2 coops with heated water dishes that run 24/7. This is our 3rd year of using the same dishes without replacement. Gfi plug outlet is very important for more reasons than not. Also, get an extension cord with an inline light fuse. A power shortage of any sort will pop the fuse and trip the gfi most likely. Remember that the water dish itself has an extension cord. Duh! Adding another short one will be no problem. They really dont get hot enough per say to start a fire unless there is an electrical short. Good luck.

Re: the manure idea: In the winter, the object is to try to keep the coop as DRY, humidity free as possible, to prevent frostbite to the chickens' combs and toes. Manure decomposition would introduce a LOT of moisture into the coop. Just sayin'...

We are also using extension cord for the water bowl and it's fine. Be sure you get an outdoor heavy duty one. If you can I really think it's just a put it up off the ground that would be even better. I think it's just a safety warning to be aware of. And like others mentioned, buy one that is long enough and don't use more than one. It needs to be outdoors and heavy duty.
Best of luck to you during the Holidays.

I bought a metal 8 gallon waterer about 3 years ago and also the heated base. We get below 0 here quite often during the winter and this is a must as a heat lamp just won't cut it much under 32 deg. I installed a ground fault plug in the coop and plug everything into that just in case things go awry when I'm not looking. The base has a temp sensor and doesn't turn on unless it's below freezing so it doesn't turn except when needed. Has worked very well in our cold Michigan climate for past 3 winters and since winter arrived early here this year again, it's already in use again
smile.png
. Got it all at the local farmers supply store.

In the picture is my 4 year old "occidental" rooster (he was gotten by accident with pullets and was told if he didn't get mean he could stay) who has really become the only one of my 14 chickens I would refer to as a pet. He's the only barred rock left from that group as the girls were all replaced with new Rhode Island Reds this fall.

Back
Top Bottom