Heated water in Winter

My kids and I have managed to break most waterers... and have settled on a stock tank de-icer, (Farm Innovators Aluminum Utility DeIcer) and that has NOT broken when I have run it dry is this one. There are some stock tank de-icers that 1. will break if run dry, and that 2. will melt rubber or plastic if set directly on the rubber. This one is safe in both cases. It only runs when it needs to (so you don’t need a separate temperature cube), and when my power goes out, so that it ends up freezing in the middle of a solid block of ice, it CAN thaw itself out. It truly is only a deicer, so it keeps the water from freezing, but doesn’t use up your electricity by making the water warm.

Negative 40 is pretty cold... I would suggest some kind of coop heat... i go over different options in this article

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

What is the best way to heat water in Winter when it gets below -40
Is that air temps or winds chills?
F or C is equal for -40, but still good to note.

Welcome to BYC! @PennieD
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1602938974926.png

I have successfully used a dog water dish heater. I fill it with water, plug it in and then insert their inverted gallon bottle and dispenser into the dog water.

The dog water volume will spill out up to the rim and the chicken waterer will stay warm enough sitting in it to keep from freezing ... so far, down to -18°F, in 72 hour sustained temperatures.

Dog dish heaters like mine, have been used for years ... by my dogs, cats, an occasional horse or goat, flipped over, run empty ... and still come back for more punishment.

If you can damage one ... you are using a very large hammer.

If you need a picture, tell me.

I have successfully used a dog water dish heater. I fill it with water, plug it in and then insert their inverted gallon bottle and dispenser into the dog water.

The dog water volume will spill out up to the rim and the chicken waterer will stay warm enough sitting in it to keep from freezing ... so far, down to -18°F, in 72 hour sustained temperatures.

Dog dish heaters like mine, have been used for years ... by my dogs, cats, an occasional horse or goat, flipped over, run empty ... and still come back for more punishment.

If you can damage one ... you are using a very large hammer.

If you need a picture, tell me.
Yes please!

My kids and I have managed to break most waterers... and have settled on a stock tank de-icer, (Farm Innovators Aluminum Utility DeIcer) and that has NOT broken when I have run it dry is this one. There are some stock tank de-icers that 1. will break if run dry, and that 2. will melt rubber or plastic if set directly on the rubber. This one is safe in both cases. It only runs when it needs to (so you don’t need a separate temperature cube), and when my power goes out, so that it ends up freezing in the middle of a solid block of ice, it CAN thaw itself out. It truly is only a deicer, so it keeps the water from freezing, but doesn’t use up your electricity by making the water warm.

Negative 40 is pretty cold... I would suggest some kind of coop heat... i go over different options in this article

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/
I have the stock tank de-icer but it makes their water all funky, with white gel like substances clinging to the heater and murking up the water. I called the company and they said this was normal. Is this your experience too?

Back
Top Bottom