Heated Waterer Dilemma

This was my solution, an electric water de-icer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HHLIXY/?tag=backy-20

I got a large bucket (3 gallon, although if you have more chooks, you can get a 5 gallon bucket) and put the de-icer in it. It has a 6-foot cord. It only comes on when the temps drop below 40 degrees F. Chickens drink out of the bucket (it sits on the floor, and I put cinder blocks next to it so the chickens can hop up and reach the top of the bucket). Water doesn't freeze. The bucket doesn't get tipped over when it's kept full of water. It's tall enough that the chooks don't get stuff in the water. Problem solved.

Does this unit require a grounding rod? I got the Farm Innovators 250W de-icer and when it was delivered the instructions included installing a copper wire in the bucket that goes to a 8 foot grounding rod placed at least 5 feet into the ground (which is now starting to freeze) and given my schedule I have not had a chance to install it yet.

Does this unit require a grounding rod? I got the Farm Innovators 250W de-icer and when it was delivered the instructions included installing a copper wire in the bucket that goes to a 8 foot grounding rod placed at least 5 feet into the ground (which is now starting to freeze) and given my schedule I have not had a chance to install it yet.

I don't think so. This unit has a plug that has a ground in it (three prong). The instructions did not mention anything about a ground...at least not that I saw. It was plug and play.

I cannot for the life of me find a heated waterer that works well for chickens. I've purchased the plastic hanging heated waterer but had several issues (cord not long enough, spillage while hanging, etc.), and most recently I've had a heated dog dish. The dog dish has worked well up until recently when my chickens have decided to perch and crap in it. :barnie It also doesn't hold enough water for my birds. So now I'm thinking of purchasing either a larger dog dish or a heated base. Does anyone have experience with the metal heated bases likes this one?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/farm-innovators-heated-base

I'm tired of wasting money on junk poultry products (Lord knows there is a lot of junk out there). I want something that works to -20 degrees, and something built to last. Should I go with a larger dog dish or go with the metal base? Or something else?
I do not recommend the K&H heated poultry waterer. They are pricey and the one I purchased last winter only last 4 months :(
I am going back the Farm Innovators heated waterer from Tractor supply. At least that one lasted 4 years.

I mean, I've heard if you put a plastic golf ball on the water it prevents the ice from forming because it creates teeny tiny waves on the surface. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon. Also heard you should dump water at night and just refill in morning for ease

I mean, I've heard if you put a plastic golf ball on the water it prevents the ice from forming because it creates teeny tiny waves on the surface. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon. Also heard you should dump water at night and just refill in morning for ease
Absolutely will not work. I wouldn't waste my time trying it.

I think we are expecting 18°F Saturday morning. That is -7.778 Celsius. Brr! So I just got back from the feed store, I got another electric heated bucket for the chickens and one for the dogs. The dogs and cats go in and out at will, but still.

Aw are you serious? There's no way I'll be able to wire electricity to my coop this winter and it's supposed to get to 19 degrees F tomorrow

Well, the chickens won't drink at night. So in a pinch, you can get out there early in the morning when your birds wake up, and check for ice. If the waterers are only a little iced up, pour hot (not boiling) water into them to melt the ice. If they're iced up a lot, bring the waterer inside, and in the bathtub, run hot water over it, get the ice block out, refill it with slightly warm water, and put it in the chicken coop. Check it a couple times throughout the day.

Back in the early days, before everyone had electricity, farmers just had to heat the water manually each day and make sure the chickens had fresh water and not a block of ice.

Back
Top Bottom