Heated Waterer query

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawsplus, Sep 12, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
  2. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Also, if someone can explain to me WHY WHY WHY these companies put the big old stickers on w/ adhesive that is practically IMPOSSIBLE to remove, I'd sure appreciate it. Grrrrr. I hate those things but they are absurdly difficult to remove!

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I've never seen that unit before so I am not sure. You could tie it up to the line you have holding it up so it is out of the way, not the best but at least the chickens won't play with it then. I do agree that the stickers are ugly.

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I bought two of these last year... they worked well all winter long but I bought two UNHEATED waterers for the summer... I am hoping to save on the wear of the more expensive heated units and save them for winter only.

5. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Can't answer the cord question, but the stickers I might be able to help with. When the unit is new, take a hair dryer and heat up one edge of the sticker and then slowly peel it up only going as far as it will go with the nasty adhesive still stuck to the paper. Keep heating and going until it is off! This works best if you haven't already messed with the sticker. I hate those stickers, too! I learned this technique from my husband when I was trying to remove stickers from my motorcycle helmet. I use it all the time now! Good luck!

6. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Quote:X2

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've just got my cord draped out the way right now - though about ziplocking the plug end, but haven't yet. I just stuck mine out there recently because I was short a waterer, but I think I'll do what the others suggested - just use for winter time.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Can one remove the cord from the unit?

You should be able to tell if it plugs in or if it's "hard wired"

Supposedly there is also cord storage underneath:

(Allied Precision) Heated Chicken Waterer with dual heating elements is thermostatically controlled. Durable all-weather plastic construction.

Freestanding upside down design for easy filling. Protects to sub-zero temperatures.

Easy store cord wrap on bottom to store 6' cord. 1 year warranty. 3.3 gallon capacity.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=50b49209-1440-4af3-b21b-cc9dee0b1d06

9. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Huh. Didn't notice that and the instructions said nothing about it! I'll check!

It doesn't look like it unplugs from the unit. I was just afraid to try TOO hard and end up breaking it!

10. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I believe these units are different. I've never seen the unit from Allied Precision until just now. 6' cord and cheaper as well... Anyone else using these?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by