Heated waterer

Chickslady

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
Central New Hampshire
Hi all,
I have a 6x8 coop including nesting boxes. I free range without a run. ( that’s a project for next year) Am I asking for trouble if I use a heated waterer base inside the coop? Will it add too much moisture and cause frostbite. My ventilation currently is a large open window covered loosely with plastic to prevent drafts. ( another project for next year, more vents) Any info appreciated.
Thanks!

If you use an open waterer with a heated base inside coop you'll need adequate ventilation or frostbite is inevitable in sub freezing temps.
I have plenty of ventilation on wall opposite of roosts.
20201010_145314_resized.jpg
20201031_132734_resized_1.jpg
20201010_145534_resized.jpg
20201025_173736_resized_1.jpg

This hen lived through 4 winters with temps as low as -15 F in this coop with a heated waterer before I did a complete remodeling by hanging the nest boxes outside the coop.
20200511_093718_resized.jpg

She is 4+ years old in this photo. GC

If you use an open waterer with a heated base inside coop you'll need adequate ventilation or frostbite is inevitable in sub freezing temps.
I have plenty of ventilation on wall opposite of roosts.View attachment 2420341View attachment 2420369View attachment 2420342View attachment 2420345
This hen lived through 4 winters with temps as low as -15 F in this coop with a heated waterer before I did a complete remodeling by hanging the nest boxes outside the coop.View attachment 2420359
She is 4+ years old in this photo. GC
Thanks that was very helpful. I’m hoping leaving the one window I have open will be enough for this year. My coop seems dry. The bedding is dry . And at first I closed it all up and windows frosted up on the inside . Haven’t had an issue since I opened it about 3-4 inches. My thermometer continues to read 70- 90 percent humidity even when I have the coop completely opened up. With plenty of ventilation! I’m definitely adding vents next year high above roosts. The window is roosts high but they roost approx. five feet from the window. Fingers crossed I’ll get through this. The chickens will probably be fine! Lol

Your goal is to have the inside and ambient humidity read the same, so whatever the number on your current gadget, it should be consistent both inside and outside.
I've just been going by 'feel' and probably should actually get a dual thermometer and humidistat myself. Maybe next trip to TSC?!
Mary

Your goal is to have the inside and ambient humidity read the same, so whatever the number on your current gadget, it should be consistent both inside and outside.
I've just been going by 'feel' and probably should actually get a dual thermometer and humidistat myself. Maybe next trip to TSC?!
Mary
Thank you, I’m thinking keeping my waterer inside the coop may be the problem but on very cold days they tend to stay inside.. I’ll try keeping it right outside there coop door. Maybe that’ll work. I just purchased a heated base.

Back
Top Bottom