Heated Waterers

I'm in Alaska...right now it is below freezing. Its actuaLLY 22 degrees right now and its about 2:45 Saturday afternoon. My chicken coop is about 12 x12 for 14 chickens. Their body heat is keeping the coop 50 degrees at nite, therefore... the water is not freezing. I did have water outside but it was pointless as it was a solid block of ice. Moved it inside and viola! my problem has been solved. PS..the entire coop is insulated with 2 inch thick sheets of foam. I have 3 sources of ventilation which include a window, wall vent and little trap door in coop door. All can be open or closed depending on weather.

I just got the heated dog water bowl for my dogs at tsc today. It was only $20. The same one at Petsmart was $40. I have heard of people using coffee cup warmers with a terra cotta saucer on top as a base for their waterers in pigeon lofts with good success.

Quote:
I bought that same exact waterer last winter, and it was terrible!! I spent like $50 and it fell apart after 2 weeks. I live in Massachusetts and the plastic bottom shattered from being so cold, then the jug part also cracked! I was so mad!

Quote:
I am fortunate to be able to hang mine from the ceiling. It took a little adjusting to get the height right, where they could drink but not mess it up. Haven't had to turn it on yet though, but so far I like it.

You're both going to find that you really have to be careful with those LARGE waterers of that style. I have a couple that I never use anymore because if you don't turn it upright correctly it's really easy to lose the bottom, it just pops off. I hate them.

Quote:
I bought mine at the local feed store for $40 and it has a 1 year warranty. This is my first time with chickens, so we'll see how it works.

Quote:
I am fortunate to be able to hang mine from the ceiling. It took a little adjusting to get the height right, where they could drink but not mess it up. Haven't had to turn it on yet though, but so far I like it.

You're both going to find that you really have to be careful with those LARGE waterers of that style. I have a couple that I never use anymore because if you don't turn it upright correctly it's really easy to lose the bottom, it just pops off. I hate them.

Not sure if they changed the style, but the bottom on mine fits really snug and you have to twist and lock it in place. I have filled it a few times so far and haven't had a problem with it.

Quote:
I bought mine at the local feed store for $40 and it has a 1 year warranty. This is my first time with chickens, so we'll see how it works.

Quote:

Not sure if they changed the style, but the bottom on mine fits really snug and you have to twist and lock it in place. I have filled it a few times so far and haven't had a problem with it.

That's good, sounds like its not the same as those large ones sold by TSC.

Quote:
I bought that same exact waterer last winter, and it was terrible!! I spent like $50 and it fell apart after 2 weeks. I live in Massachusetts and the plastic bottom shattered from being so cold, then the jug part also cracked! I was so mad!

I used this last year. It actually held up quite well...except when I removed it from the coop and dropped it! Yep, the base did "chip", not shatter. I had my DH fix it by using "Gorilla Glue" and saran wrap to re-form the edge. Once dry, it acted like the original base edge, just a different color. The chip was only about 1" wide, but it would not have held water if it was not repaired. Just be careful not to drop in the extreme cold, because it does chip/shatter easily.
tongue.png

I live in a cold climate , lots of temps below freezing in winter. Used the WalMart electric dog bowl last year and it was a blessing not to have to defrost and refill frozen bowls twice a day last winter. I also put mine up on two cinder blocks so the hens don't kick so much shavings into it. This took care of 12 full grown chicks last year, in a 8x12 coop (their side) electric run out there with an extension cord to the 4x12 storage area( my side) and just run the plug through the chicken wire that seperates the two areas. They drink a lot in the cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom