1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heater idea....is this crazy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okjohnson, Apr 22, 2017.

1. okjohnson

okjohnson Just Hatched

Apr 22, 2017
    We first jumped into the chicken world last fall when a family member gave us a large assortment of adult chickens, a rooster, and 3 turkeys. Now that we have successfully kept them alive, happy & thriving over the winter, we've decided to add a few chicks to our farm. We have one of those radiant heat coop heaters available, which is much safer than a heat lamp. Is it crazy to try to use one of those as a heat source? My thought is to get a feather duster and hang in front of the heater, to mimic a hen. I brought it in the house, in the area where our brooder will be, and put a digital thermometer 2-3" in front of it. On high, it's staying around 91-92*. Is this a crazy idea? I've searched, and haven't seen anyone using anything like that, so maybe this newbie is way off base. Thanks!

2. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Search for Sweeter Heater, ecoglow or premier1 heatplate. Is it something like that? You'd have to set it up pointing at the floor of the brooder so that the chicks can crawl under it. Look at the pictures.
    If you do this make sure that it is open on all sides (or at least on both long sides) so that chicks can't get trapped under it when they don't remember the way out.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Look into Blooie's thread on MHP, alot safer and mimic a hen.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Is it like a sweeter heater? Http://www.sweeterheater.com you don't need the feather duster. get rid of the feather duster. the chicks will be fine without a feather duster. the Heat from the radiant heater will mimic the hen just fine. just use the heat & get rid of the feather duster.
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by