Heater in incubator went nuts overnight HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cackleberries, Mar 15, 2009.

1. cackleberries

cackleberries Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Im seriously worried about my peeps [​IMG] they were due to hatch 3/18 but sometime during the night the heater went wacko [​IMG] and when I checked them this morning it was 120+ inside. I last checked them yesterday eve about 7pm so it happened somewhere from 7pm -7am today. [​IMG] [​IMG] My lil ones are dead arn't they???? [​IMG] [​IMG] This was my first hatch and im really SAD [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    im so sorry , they must be dead . but lower the temo and candel and lets hope for the best [​IMG]

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Double check the temp. to make sure. If that high , yes they will be dead. Thermometer may be off.

4. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

What type of bator do you have?? I have a LG still air and have been fighting mine to keep it right. I set it and had it right on the money for a week before I put my eggs in. It did great for about a week and now I have to check it about 30 times a day to make sure it is right and not to cold or hot. [​IMG] My hatch is due on the 17th of march. [​IMG]

5. cackleberries

cackleberries Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    Quote:A LG still air with auto turner is what I have. I started 3 days early to set temp perfect put in eggs and made it to this point not a single glitch and now my poor babies [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] When I candle how do I know if there still OK? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    sorry for your loss, but yea, they are dead

7. sunshinegirl432

sunshinegirl432 New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    Alabama
    I am so sorry, I know how you feel, my first batch got unplugged in accident at day 10 and I cried all night cause I killed my babies

sunny

8. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    They are dead IF the thermometer is right. The thermometer could be what went whacko. You can candle whenever to see if you see movement.

Dont let this sour you on hatching though...consider investing in a hovabator genesis or other thermostatically controlled incubators... you get that with the wafer style ones....

9. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Something like this usually happens at least once, (if you're lucky), in everybody's lifetime if you work with animals. I've made more mistakes than my fair share & some of those were my own fault. This wasn't yours - you had checked the situation out & everything was as it should be at the time. You just can't watch 24-7. It isn't practical. Don't beat yourself up & most importantly, don't give up! Replace the failing equipment and try again. I remember one time I thought my digital thermometer was reading 110, but the display was failing due to needing a new battery & the first zero was not showing up completely. I always keep two in there now -1 digital which also reads the humidity level & 1 old-fashioned mercury thermometer that the unit came with.
    I hope your thermometer is just going bad & the babies are fine. Good luck to you.

10. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Make sure to candle them before doing anything. I was about to throw one out, but watched and after 30 seconds finally found movement (it's day 15 right now). They're not dead till they're dead [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by