Heathy chickens found dead

shyned421

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
I am at a loss...I have perfectly looking and acting hens then in a few hours they are dead. No predators involved and no marks on the dead hen. Any ideas???

How many have died? If it is just one bird then there is probably nothing to worry about in regards to the rest of the flock.

Birds die. When they die it is often a random thing related to some health issue that you had no clue about. Birds are masters at disguising small injuries and ailments. There is a condition (especially seen in meat birds and roos) called "flipover" or just "flip". This is generally an undiagnosed heart condition that leads to a sudden cardiac arrest. The name comes from the characteristic posture that the dead bird is found in- they are flipped over on to their backs with their legs stretched out in the air. There is another possibility that I think of when a bird drops dead suddenly (and this one can actually be seen in a necropsy), and that is the possibility that the bird was startled and flew into something. Birds that start will try to get away as quickly as possible regardless of whether they have a clear path of escape or not. A bird that flies into a wall or fence quickly has the chance of incurring a broken neck or major head injury, but they also have a very good chance of lacerating their rather fragile livers. A great many birds that fly into something under full steam, give themselves internal bleeds from liver damage. These injuries kill them pretty quickly with very few indicators beforehand.

I would not worry so much about the "why" as long as no other birds are ailing. If you start having more deaths, then it is time to worry about why it is happening.

Sorry for your loss. Good luck.

I am at a loss...I have perfectly looking and acting hens then in a few hours they are dead. No predators involved and no marks on the dead hen. Any ideas???
How old are birds? Have you recently introduced new birds? Some things to look into are Coccidiosis(parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,kills very fast if left untreated) or perhaps you have recently added a heat lamp,make sure it does not contain any teflon or teflon coating on any brackets/casing,etc teflon is highly toxic to birds.

How old are birds? Have you recently introduced new birds? Some things to look into are Coccidiosis(parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,kills very fast if left untreated) or perhaps you have recently added a heat lamp,make sure it does not contain any teflon or teflon coating on any brackets/casing,etc teflon is highly toxic to birds.
Very good advice about teflon. They might be getting into something poisonous and eating it.. but most likely i agree on thinking its cocci. check n their poo for blood or diahrea.. good luck, sorry for your loss

Thanks everyone! I have lost about 7 birds this past year...some were sick but 4 of them were fine in the morning and dead by afternoon. I do let them free range 3 or 4 times a week. Maybe they could be finding something bad in the yard but we keep all chemicals put up and don't use anything on our yard that would be dangerous for birds,dogs,cats,pigs or our horses. I guess I will just keep track and compare notes. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom