Heating a kiddie pool for ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TwoMileRanch, Oct 7, 2009.

1. TwoMileRanch

TwoMileRanch Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Hi all, as winter sneaks up, I'm looking at ideas for my ducks.

They have access to a 1/3 acre pond and it will have some open water most of the winter. In their pen, I have a small kiddie pool they dunk in and drink from.

Has anyone used one of the outdoor heated floor pads for dogs/kennels under one of the pools? (Are they weather proof enough?)

My biggest interest is keeping drinking water defrosted, but the ducks in the past have emptied chicken waterers quickly -- by spashing.

Any ideas or tips?

2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Heated dog bowls for water work great for ours. I wouldn't use the kennel pads for trying to heat a pool, I have them for my rabbits and don't think they could do it.
    Bird bath heaters work great for our duck pool. NOT livestock trough heaters, they get way too hot and could burn them. The one we use is kind of lollipop shaped, and they can actually stand on it. But it works to keep the water ice free all winter in Maine. I have had a skim coat of ice when the temps got to about 20 below (happened once), other than that, it's worked wonderfully for us.
    American Livestock.com has a heated bird bath mat that looks pretty cool and the birds can stand on it with no problems. I haven't tried it, but if you do, please let us know if it works.
    I also found the heated hutch/coop bowls for my rabbits there too. I posted in another thread about how the tubes in the bottle waterers freeze immediately in cold weather, these little bowls work really slick. My bunnies have fresh unfrozen water all winter.

3. TwoMileRanch

TwoMileRanch Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    Great ideas....thank you so much. No I know what things to look for. I'll report back .

4. Miz Pack Fan

Miz Pack Fan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2016
    Any idea how much wattage is needed to keep a small kiddie pool from freezing? As for the drinking water, I use a heated pet water bowl. I'm in Iowa and the temps dip down below zero (a little too often if you ask me! Ha) in winter and the heated bowl hasn't failed me yet. And my ducks can dunk their heads in it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by