Heating a VERY small coop

Quote:
A ceramic heat lamp consists of a bulb made out of ceramic and typically a separately purchased metal "lampshade", both of which I usually find at large pet supply stores like Petsmart, typically in the reptile area. The cord plugs into an electrical outlet. Your ceiling is very low - I'm not sure this would work - sounds like you need a different way to keep them warm because the lamp or lamps would hang too low and could present a danger. With my 8 foot ceiling I am able to suspend such that nothing - not the birds, and not any flammable coop materials - can possibly come into contact with it. And it's so firmly attached it's not going to fall either, unless something brings the whole building down, goodness forbid.

You are right to be concerned since you've seen them shivering. They are cold.

Broad brush comments made by anyone in either direction - birds do not need heat - birds do need heat - do not take into account that it depends. One must know their birds and it sounds like you are reading yours correctly. I know I am reading my roo correctly - he is utterly miserable when it's less than 40-45 degrees. That's just his makeup. And when other birds are panting and miserable in 100 degree weather he is one cool cat.

JJ

Last edited:
I have a tiny coop that basically looks like a rabbit hutch. Our 2 girls were cold so today we built a straw bale cave...sides, back, top and left front open for ventilation. I could literally feel the difference in temperature within a few minutes. They are not shivering tonight!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
we did that last year-worked great

For my rabbit hutches that serve as coops, I use a 60-100 watt bulb. I am VERY careful to hang the lamp two ways WITH WIRE, not using the clamp to hold it. And then I yank on it almost every day to make sure.

Right now, I have some silkies in here that need the 100 watt bulb at night, and 60 watts during the day. I am getting ready to move them to a real coop with a 100 watt bulb. They are maybe 4 weeks old now. (Pic taken when younger.)

Also, let it run awhile, then feel the ceiling of the coop, the walls, and the shavings to make sure they aren't getting too warm.

59997_img_0422.jpg

Last edited:
I keep 2 -250 heat lamp on in my coop for light and warmth to keep production up. i have 15 hens and get 12-14 eggs a day! If i were you I would keep a light on, in a small space I think 100w will provide enough warmth. Also the cookie tin heater sounds like a good idea.

Yes im sure chickens dont need heat to survive in the winter but if you can make them more comftrble i think you should. Because im sure we can survive with out heat but isnt it nice to have it!

Back
Top Bottom