heating and lighting without electric hook up

Discussion in 'Quail' started by waynem1983, Sep 2, 2014.

1. waynem1983

waynem1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2014
    Gloucestershire, England
    I may be after something that does not exist, butnwould like to know if this would work.

Could I heat a shed ( lets say 4 x 6) with a parafin heater over winter? What about the c2o emissions? Would they put out enough heat to make a difference? Im talking british winter, not too extreme but can hit -5 for a couple of weeks.

could I light it with christmas fairy lights, battery powered on a timer?

Would the 2 combined produce enough light and heat to keep cortunix laying and breeding over winter?

Are there any better options to use without mains electric supply?

2. RichardandTresa

RichardandTresa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2014
    Hi There!

Look up "soda can solar heater" on YouTube... I've done TONS of research and will be building several for our Quail, two greenhouses and our home! Use 12 volt computer fans. You can get a small solar panel to provide electricity. Make sure you use a "Thermo switch" to keep the fan turned off until the solar heater gets up to 100 degrees, otherwise, when the sun comes up inte morning, You'll be blowing cold air into your shed.The same switch then turns off at 85 degrees...

Want heating at night? Run your heater pipes through a large block of cement, clay etc... as the hot air passes through, it will heat up the "mass heater" (look up on youtube). The mass heater retains the heat... Then set up a separate fan to blow air from the mass heater into the shed... should last all night if it's large enough.

You'll have to look this stuff up... sorry, I'm just swamped with work right now (Prototype developer)... but this stuff REALLY WORKS!

best,
    Richard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by