Heating Element for homemade incubator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenTiff, Jun 20, 2009.

1. ChickenTiff

ChickenTiff In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    I fould for sale a replacement heating element that usually goes in the hovabator. Its fairly cheap at 14$ My question is, will that heating element work ONLY for the size of an hovabator or will it manage to properly heat a larger home made box incubator!
    Thanks so much to anyone who can help me!
    Tiffany

2. momofchicks

momofchicks Songster

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I don't know about that heating element but I used a heat lamp in my homemade bator and hatched 3 chicks out of 8 eggs. Good luck!

3. ChickenTiff

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    That was another option I thought of, is the cost of maintaining them a difference. does it consume more power, the lamp or the heating element? Is it harder to maintain a good temp with a lamp?
    Tiff

4. momofchicks

momofchicks Songster

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    We had a good consistent temp with the heat lamp, we had it hanging over the box and the thermometer stayed the same temp. I have never used the other so I can't speak for it. As far as electricity usage I don't know I guess I haven't paid attention to the bill now that you mention it. But I use the heat lamp after they're born anyway so I get double the usage out of it. Good luck

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    The element from the hovabator will not be enough for a larger bator. They are only about 40w. You can use it in with a light bulb, but then you might as well just use the light bulb. The advantage of the element though is it shape which is good for a small well insulated incubator. If you keep the bator small and line it with Styrofoam it should work.

6. ChickenTiff

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas
    Cool. I was hoping to turn a small old kitchen cabinet into a 3 tray incubator. I will prob have to go with heat lamps for that option...
    Tiffany

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: