Heating lamp and is it okay to turn off

Swampy_9

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
I am a new Chick owner. Really i only did this because my parents wanted to see if by chance we could actually hatch chicks. I have four Chicks now all a week old. The weather here has been in the 90s and the temperature inside is at 88. I have turned off the heat lamp during the day due to seeing that the chicks pant and spread their wings and since then they seem happier and active. Though sleeping much more. I guess they were over heating.

At night i notice that the temprature stays at above 80. We haven't turned on our air conditioning just yet. But i was wondering if it would be okay to leave the heat lamp off at night since it stays above 75 degrees. Or Should i angle the heating lamp or cover once side of the brooder and keep the lamp on at one side just incase they get to cold? Again the temprature inside has not gone below 75. So should i keep it off? or turn it on

They can probably go without it or you can raise it.
Thank you! I know last night it was in the 90's and they slept just fine at night without it but i rather be sure. Ill have to raise it tomorrow and see if they prefer that over just it being off

I am a new Chick owner. Really i only did this because my parents wanted to see if by chance we could actually hatch chicks. I have four Chicks now all a week old. The weather here has been in the 90s and the temperature inside is at 88. I have turned off the heat lamp during the day due to seeing that the chicks pant and spread their wings and since then they seem happier and active. Though sleeping much more. I guess they were over heating.

At night i notice that the temprature stays at above 80. We haven't turned on our air conditioning just yet. But i was wondering if it would be okay to leave the heat lamp off at night since it stays above 75 degrees. Or Should i angle the heating lamp or cover once side of the brooder and keep the lamp on at one side just incase they get to cold? Again the temprature inside has not gone below 75. So should i keep it off? or turn it on
I agree I'm glad you made the decision to turn off. You'll make a good chicken owner. Welcome here

Would you hear the chicks if they started peeping loudly because of being cold?
If yes, then feel free to leave the lamp off as long as they are comfortable and happy.

Chicks that are cold (or otherwise distressed) make a very loud, annoying peeping sound. I think it would wake up most sleeping people, but that depends on how far the chicks are from the bedroom and how soundly the person sleeps.

Last edited:
Would you hear the chicks if they started peeping loudly because of being cold?
If yes, then feel free to leave the lamp off as long as they are comfortable and happy.

Chicks that are cold or (otherwise distressed) make a very loud, annoying peeping sound. I think it would wake up most sleeping people, but that depends on how far the chicks are from the bedroom and how soundly the person sleeps.
They are just outside my bedroom and have awoken me at night because they would not stop peeping at an empty food tray. I guess ill keep an ear out just incase i hear anything but as last night they also had the lamp off they did sleep without a pinch

They are just outside my bedroom and have awoken me at night because they would not stop peeping at an empty food tray. I guess ill keep an ear out just incase i hear anything but as last night they also had the lamp off they did sleep without a pinch

In that case, I think it's safe to just leave the heat lamp off as long as the chicks seem content :)

Back
Top Bottom