Heating my coop????

BeardedeagleGA

Chirping
Oct 26, 2021
This has probably been discussed many times but I have a question concerning heating of my coop. I live in middle Georgia so it doesn't get super cold much but it does get cold enough to do harm to chickens. I have a new coop that just arrived for my girls and boys and I am going to wire it up when I put it together Saturday. I am going to put in a thermostatically controlled exhaust fan, three overhead light sockets and outlets for a later auto door and whatever else. In the sockets, I was going to put two of the heater/lights in the two outside sockets and just a standard LED bulb in the middle on a separate switch for when it is needed. I guess I would like to know if anyone has used these heater/lights and if so are they any good. A bigger question is do I even need to heat it?

1-2-300 WATT 3 LED CHICKEN COOP HEATER, FAN & LIGHT
https://coopsnmore.com/products/1-2...r-fan-light-barn-stall-pen-cage-warmer-rabbit

Also if anyone sees any holes in my plan please advise.

but it does get cold enough to do harm to chickens
Not unless they are incompletely feathered chicks it doesn't.
I'm in NY. We have lows in the -20s. I do not heat the coop. None of my birds were harmed.
when I put it together Saturday
Oh no. Not a pre-fab.

Your chickens need a DRY, WELL VENTILATED coop providing 4 sq ft of floor space per bird (this does not include nest boxes), 1 linear foot of roost per bird and a very bare minimum of 10 sq ft per bird of space in the run.

If there is any way you can return the coop, I strongly suggest you do so. Your money would be better spent converting an old shed into a coop.

Not unless they are incompletely feathered chicks it doesn't.
I'm in NY. We have lows in the -20s. I do not heat the coop. None of my birds were harmed.

Oh no. Not a pre-fab.

Your chickens need a DRY, WELL VENTILATED coop providing 4 sq ft of floor space per bird (this does not include nest boxes), 1 linear foot of roost per bird and a very bare minimum of 10 sq ft per bird of space in the run.

If there is any way you can return the coop, I strongly suggest you do so. Your money would be better spent converting an old shed into a coop.
I did the math and it should be fine. I looked at the sheds but just the shed was more than I paid for the coop.

https://chickencoophq.com/products/overez-xl-chicken-coop-kit-up-to-20-chickens

As a chicken keeper in NC I concur. We southeasterners have no need to even think about heat except for baby chicks.

My 6-week chicks are facing this year's first frost tonight in the Open Air Coop along with the adults. They'll be fine and so will the adults who are molting.

In our wet, southeastern winters ventilation is especially necessary to keep the coop dry. :)

Back
Top Bottom