Heating pad for chicks

Mvan42

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 15, 2019
Garrett County, Maryland
Anyone use these (pic below). We are wanting to hatch chicks in our classroom. In order to do it we are only allowed to have this heating pad for a heat source once they hatch. Opinions on it please..

Attachments

• 65901A0F-4929-4C88-B338-AAA4D0D52AC3.png
    65901A0F-4929-4C88-B338-AAA4D0D52AC3.png
    776.7 KB · Views: 56
In order to do it we are only allowed to have this heating pad for a heat source once they hatch.
Might work just fine...can you provide real link, please.
You might be able to use this on rack like a heat plate.....
..or would you be allowed to use a regular heat plate for poultry?

Last edited:
If that's what you are allowed to have, that's what you'll have to go with. It's a shame they can't have heat to sleep under as Chick Nanny illustrates. But there will be radiant heat above and around the one you're allowed so I'm betting chicks can make it work.

I'd get some (metal) hardware cloth and make a structure above it and line the top of that with some cheap fleece remnants. (Get lots! You'll be replacing it every day as it gets poopy.) Shape your structure so that it start about 1" above the heat source on one side and gets a few inches high on the opposite side. At least that way the chicks can take advantage of the rising heat at the right temperature for them when they sleep. During the day they'll be able to get as close or as far as they require to the heated area around it.

You might also get an old fashioned feather duster and put it in there with them so they can cuddle up to it.

Don’t do it, please! I have one of those, the 40w model. It is for supplemental heat only! I lost 3 chicks out of 6 last year because they got too cold on it. Had to make an emergency run to TSC and get heat lamps to save the last 3, and the RIR still struggles with a weak cloaca 1 year later. Much too cold!

For a day or 2, you might use a normal light bulb with the pad, but I wouldn’t, they’ll be too confused by the light. Just not a good idea.

Don’t do it, please! I have one of those, the 40w model. It is for supplemental heat only! I lost 3 chicks out of 6 last year because they got too cold on it. Had to make an emergency run to TSC and get heat lamps to save the last 3, and the RIR still struggles with a weak cloaca 1 year later. Much too cold!

For a day or 2, you might use a normal light bulb with the pad, but I wouldn’t, they’ll be too confused by the light. Just not a good idea.
I am only allowed to use this... I hope it will be fine. Other schools use the same thing. It is a fire marshal rule or law... at home I use a light..

Back
Top Bottom