Heating PAD I'm in love....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by walkswithdog, Nov 4, 2008.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Human heating pads are dangerous for use with animals. Even in uses with humans they can twist, over-heat and burn and short out. Many have mentioned looking for an alternative to the problems of heat lamps.

This was my solution.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/p/3024-Deluxe-Lectro-Kennel-Heat-Pad.aspx

And to say I'm over-joyed would be an understatement. I get to choose the setting. It's water resistent, it's durable and designed for indoor or outdoor use.

I don't worry about the danger of heat lamps. Heat starts at floor level and moves upward, so chicks still on the ground stay warm, and birds above still get any necessary heat. Or the choice of avoiding it.

They have a cheaper fixed setting pad but I wanted to be able to set it lower as they all age. I don't use the cover that they sell for it but one I had from another dog bed, washable but doesn't get stuck all over with shavings.

I'm totally happy. Thought I'd share.

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I saw something similar to this at TSC, I think they were less expensive though!

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    There is a less expensive model - set temp (100) instead of adjustable temp.

I wanted the adjustable one. It's more expensive.

There are other companies.

Most of them that I found were for indoor use not outdoor/kennel.

I didn't find another one for outdoor/kennel use that I liked.

I wanted one rated for outdoors/kennels. Because when the chicks don't need it - I've got old dogs that sometimes like heat even indoors in winter or strays/rescues that have to stay in my kennel and who should have heat if they're there.

I love multi-use tools.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by