heating

maggie

Hatching
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
i live in mi and have a questions on useing a heat lamp in my chicken coop. how cold before turning on? and how long to leave on?

What you can do is get a Thermo Cube to plug the light into. This is a thermostatically controlled outlet the gives power to the light at a preset temp and will cut it off at a preset temp.

Last edited:
Thats a good idea Wes, Is this cube adjustable to accomodate different temp ranges? I would say you would probably like it to come on right about 32f. This would keep your water from freezing in your coop if so desired. I would also make sure your light was fastened very well so as not to accidentally fall into your very flammable litter! Good luck

Chris

I want to thank you for your reply to my question:) This is our first winter with the chickens and we are still learning. They are my sons pride and joy he has names for them all they were hatched 6/19/06 so you can see we are newbies we have 22 total 1 white crested black polish, 4 white leghorn,2 silver laced wyandotte, 5 ameraucana, 3 salmon faverolle, 3 jersey black giant, 3 light brahma, these are the hens and we have 1 light brahma roaster. my main concern was how cold is too cold for them? I can find stuff on the heat and how hot but not too cold. we love our chickens in the north also:) this is the first time i have ever posted anything on a site and i thank you for your response

Those are cool.........I am going to get one for the chickens and horse barn....

For all you Northerners I would die! LOL! This is the first time we have had such hard freezes for this many days in a row in my part of Texas.....and this is the pits going out and breaking water every few hours....and to think lsat week I thought Spring was her,darn...

Cindy you just haven't lived around here long enough or just aren't old enough. LOL. I have seen it stay below freezing here for over a week back in the 70's and 80's.

Last edited:
Maggie I have the same question my wiffe and I are building our chicken coop in our backyard and are wondering about heat. I have bought a heat lamp and am wiring the building myself but not sure how cold before I turn it on.

Wes I am definately old enough to remember. I should have said it has been awhile and in those days I sure wasn't worried about taking care of animals. Those we my high school and college days...we were just talking about how when you live on a dirt road and don't have a garage and you have horses in a muddy pasture......how much difference a big rain is to you. Don't get me wrong we are VERY thankful for the rain! But I am also VERY thankful for the sunshine today....

LOL I here you on the sun shiney day. We was at the stock show in that cold butt rain all day yesterday. Should of waited until today. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom