Heatlamp instead of incubator?

Oddyseous

Chirping
Sep 21, 2019
I hate using the word "possible" I was going to ask "is this possible" well of course it is. But I was wondering as long as you get the temp right and constant, what would my success rate look like vs an incubator? Reason i'm asking is well, incubators are expensive.

Have you looked into 2nd hand incubators? Or cheap Chinese ones? With an actual heat lamp I think it’d cost you triple an incubator in electricity.

Hm that's a good point. I don't know my mom has one but claims it sucks because it kept over-cooking her eggs but I want to take a look at it myself.

My sister set and egg on top of the water heater for some reason and forgot about it and hatched out a chick, she couldn't figure out what the strange sound was, lol so guess anything is possible. There are a lot of really cool ones here that youmake your self that are cheap too like the cooler bators

A stable temp and humidity are important. This page has a lot of good information although it might just be a bit heavy on the exactness. https://modernfarmer.com › 2015/04 › how-to-incubate-chicken-eggs They claim 99.5F where I've always had good luck with 100-101. Either way, the information can help you decide on an incubator, or give you some information on what your mom did that made the eggs cook. Best of luck!

Hm that's a good point. I don't know my mom has one but claims it sucks because it kept over-cooking her eggs but I want to take a look at it myself.
My issue was at lock down, the thermostat would freak out with added humidity. add in I'm already having issues with hatching at high altitude, but getting an incu turn so they were laying down helped a lot

A stable temp and humidity are important. This page has a lot of good information although it might just be a bit heavy on the exactness. https://modernfarmer.com › 2015/04 › how-to-incubate-chicken-eggs They claim 99.5F where I've always had good luck with 100-101. Either way, the information can help you decide on an incubator, or give you some information on what your mom did that made the eggs cook. Best of luck!
a lot depends on the set up you have, 99.5 is with a fan were the 100-101 would be for a still air

Back
Top Bottom