Heaven help --- dog with thunder issues

Quote:
This is SOOO common for border collies! I work as a vet tech and we have several clients who have dogs who are deathly afraid of storms. Our clinic will give a Rx for Acepromazine. It is a sedative you can give them, but you will need to give it 30 mintues before a storm even thinks of coming. I suggest you go to your vet. (they'll prob have to see the dog if they havent seen her in the last year) to get a sedative. But in my experiance a dog who's afraid of storms will always be afraid of storms:oops:. Sorry!
he.gif
. All you can do is make her comfortable. Hope this helps:fl. Heather

my spaniel/bc reacts badly to thunderstorms among other things, he gets some valium prescribed by his vet.

..Hi, I Have A 9 Y O American Eskimo, She Goes Nuts When Thunder Is About.I Dont Make A Big Deal About It. I Just Tell Her To Get A Toy, And We Play Catch, It Calms Her Very Quickly.try Taking Her In The Car When It Raining Holy Cow! The Wiperblades Sends Her Over The Edge.I Now Keep Her Dog Carrier In My Jeep.easier Than Watching Her Try To Escape. ITS 4TH OF JULY WEEK ,THIS IS WHEN SHE DIGS INTO THE TILE FLOOR.GOOD THING ITS TILE.

Last edited:
Wouldn't use the Ace, it can have the opposite reaction at times. My suggestion would be to get a covered crate like a Vari-Kennel and put it in a sheltered area (possibly a basement). Once the dog is used to the crate and area it's in, they will start using it on their own. Dogs are den animals and will feel safer in an enclosed space.
Slinky

I don’t know about dogs, but if you give ace to some horses that are already all riled up it has the opposite affect and makes them more wild and flipped out. so unless you get it to the animal before hand I wouldn’t give it at all.

Hi Lisa!
frow.gif

My 80 lb. Lab Bingo freaks out during storms now, because the house was hit by lightning twice several years ago. Since then, I'm not entirely stable during storms either.
hmm.png

This time of year, with the daily storms, I watch the weather and give him a Benadryl in peanut butter as soon as I see one coming. Sometimes two since he's so big. Vet advised it.
Then he goes in the bathroom, which is the center of the house, with the exhaust fan on. It masks the noise. He doesn't sleep, but it helps calm him. Sometimes, I hide in there with him!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom