Heavily speckled/stippled chicken eggs

That is a beautiful egg! I LOVE the speckled ones! We just started raising chicks this year. In fact we purchased our first chicks on March 30th, 2012 when they were only one day old. It has been a great adventure and I love the variety of colors we get. We also get speckled eggs. My hubby loves giving our eggs to his co-workers. They always have the best expressions when opening the carton for the first time. It's a pleasant surprise as most of them have never seen anything besides white eggs. We make sure to give them our best and most colorful eggs. We get light green, medium green, creamy peach, pink, tan, brown, rusty brown, and speckled. We also have 2 bantams so we have tiny eggs too. I love the variety and have asked for a large clear container for Christmas that I can use to display the blown out eggs in my kitchen. I'm also thinking of taking a pic of each hen, putting it in a shadow box along with a blown out egg of hers and her name. I've saved 3 eggs from my Ameracauna/Easter Egger named "Big Red". She has laid 3 eggs that are over 6 inches in diameter (at the middle) and over 6 1/2 inches in diameter (length). I think incorporating our chicks into the decorating of our kitchen would be a fun project. Anyway, enjoy your chicks!

WOW - those are some honkin' big eggs from your EE! They sound like gorgeous eggs - post a pic when you can!
thumbsup.gif

One my RSLs lays a very nice sized egg, but it's covered in white spots. The eggs taste fine but they're not exactly beautiful. If you wash them the eggs turns pure brow but once it dries the spots come back. Anyone else have a similar issue or know what to think about it?

It's nothing to worry about; I suspect she's laying eggs with a thicker bloom than the average hen. Here's a picture of an egg from a hen I once had that sounds like maybe what you're getting?

Here's a Marans egg - it would look almost mauve colored when it was dry, but when I wet it, you could see the dark brown underneath; but, it always dried back to the mauve color. Every egg she laid was like this:

what breed is this from? A friend gave me some fertilized eggs to hatch and they look like this. So pretty!

You can "dry" clean eggs and it won't ruin the bloom. I use a greeny scrub pad to gently get off anything unwanted. It works great.

Back
Top Bottom