Heaving breathing duck that sleeps a lot, short neck and doesn’t lay eggs

ca

can i ask what the signs were? i’ve never heard of this in ducks but i like to be able to be prepared for any type of disease/injury
For Clover, my dear cayuga, she stopped hanging around her friends as much, and started staring at walls. She stopped scanning the sky for predators, even though it had been her job to watch out for them. She just stood around and no longer engaged. When the rest of the ducks and I would take a walk Clover would stare at the barn 2 inches away from it and seem like she didn't know what was going on. She no longer came when I called and her personality was changed. This went on for about 2 days and I carried her around waiting to see if she might get better. Instead she stopped eating and I decided it was time. Since her disease was fatal I had decided not to keep her alive by tube feeding. On the way to the vet for her "goodbye procedure" she faded in and out of consciousness.

My other duck had severe aspergillosis. We treated for about a year before our vet decided it was fatal and I decided to stop the treatments. She had severe exercise intolerance and barely walk without gasping and wheezing. Once it was clear to me that she was in an unacceptable amount of discomfort, I took her in.

For me, I think some pain is ok. I have arthritis and migraine headaches so I understand pain and I don't want to be put down. But when one of my animals can't do things like eat, walk, or other normal activities because of pain, and there is no hope for them to recover, I feel like that is time to say goodbye. Of course, that is only my personal opinion for my own animals.

I always agonize over knowing when the time is right. But I always know. And I have never regretted my choice.

For Clover, my dear cayuga, she stopped hanging around her friends as much, and started staring at walls. She stopped scanning the sky for predators, even though it had been her job to watch out for them. She just stood around and no longer engaged. When the rest of the ducks and I would take a walk Clover would stare at the barn 2 inches away from it and seem like she didn't know what was going on. She no longer came when I called and her personality was changed. This went on for about 2 days and I carried her around waiting to see if she might get better. Instead she stopped eating and I decided it was time. Since her disease was fatal I had decided not to keep her alive by tube feeding. On the way to the vet for her "goodbye procedure" she faded in and out of consciousness.

My other duck had severe aspergillosis. We treated for about a year before our vet decided it was fatal and I decided to stop the treatments. She had severe exercise intolerance and barely walk without gasping and wheezing. Once it was clear to me that she was in an unacceptable amount of discomfort, I took her in.

For me, I think some pain is ok. I have arthritis and migraine headaches so I understand pain and I don't want to be put down. But when one of my animals can't do things like eat, walk, or other normal activities because of pain, and there is no hope for them to recover, I feel like that is time to say goodbye. Of course, that is only my personal opinion for my own animals.

I always agonize over knowing when the time is right. But I always know. And I have never regretted my choice.
i’m so sorry ❤️

how long did she live after you first found out she had it? i’ve had quite a few people message me on instagram about how their ducks stopped laying eggs and were acting weird (not egg bound) and i couldn’t think of anything so i’m wondering if that could have been it? not my ducks so i didn’t observe any other symptoms they had

how long did she live after you first found out she had it? i’ve had quite a few people message me on instagram about how their ducks stopped laying eggs and were acting weird (not egg bound) and i couldn’t think of anything so i’m wondering if that could have been it? not my ducks so i didn’t observe any other symptoms they had
Clover lived for about 7-8 months after she stopped laying and started having diarrhea and bloating. She did go to her avian veterinarian every 1-2 weeks during that time. She suffered ascites (water belly) and they drained it for me. Some people drain their ducks at home, but even my vets use ultrasound to guide them from hitting essential organs. Clover seemed to feel well, as long as I kept the fluid drained, up until a couple days before the end. She had a lovely life.

Clover lived for about 7-8 months after she stopped laying and started having diarrhea and bloating. She did go to her avian veterinarian every 1-2 weeks during that time. She suffered ascites (water belly) and they drained it for me. Some people drain their ducks at home, but even my vets use ultrasound to guide them from hitting essential organs. Clover seemed to feel well, as long as I kept the fluid drained, up until a couple days before the end. She had a lovely life.
ok thank you so much, i always recommend people to go to the vet if it seems like a serious issue but it’s always best to know as much about duck diseases as possible.

Just as another update to this thread, I booked Daisy in for an ultrasound, and the vet discovered it wasn’t a tumour! But something egg shaped! It is thought to be a soft shelled egg, hence him thinking it was a tumour, she had a couple of injections oxytocin and calcium to try help her push it out - didn’t work. Took her back in the following week to have it drained off, waiting to see if she passes the shell.
Not sure what else we can do, vet said she seemed quite happy at the vets, so as long as she is eating and drinking maybe just see how she gets on. So good news that there is no tumour, but we aren’t out the woods yet.

Just as another update to this thread, I booked Daisy in for an ultrasound, and the vet discovered it wasn’t a tumour! But something egg shaped! It is thought to be a soft shelled egg, hence him thinking it was a tumour, she had a couple of injections oxytocin and calcium to try help her push it out - didn’t work. Took her back in the following week to have it drained off, waiting to see if she passes the shell.
Not sure what else we can do, vet said she seemed quite happy at the vets, so as long as she is eating and drinking maybe just see how she gets on. So good news that there is no tumour, but we aren’t out the woods yet.
💖💖 Wonderful news! I'm so pleased there is hope!

Back
Top Bottom