Heavy Bloom?

Oaktree79

Chirping
Apr 27, 2019
Can someone please help me understand what a heavy bloom is? I incubated a ‘heavy bloom egg’ and the hen is currently laying gorgeous pink eggs- please see photo attached. I have found some literature about the bloom but very little about a heavy bloom.
Thanks in advanced for your help.

Attachments

• 7A163BD5-CAE1-4A5B-9CBF-95725AF899C8.jpeg
    7A163BD5-CAE1-4A5B-9CBF-95725AF899C8.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 204
How do you know it's a heavy bloom? The bloom is invisible once it dries. You can feel it when you wash the egg, which removes the bloom, otherwise I'm not sure how you can tell how thick it is. The bloom is a foamy layer of protein added to protect the egg from bacteria.

How do you know it's a heavy bloom? The bloom is invisible once it dries. You can feel it when you wash the egg, which removes the bloom, otherwise I'm not sure how you can tell how thick it is. The bloom is a foamy layer of protein added to protect the egg from bacteria.
I was told by the breeder it was. Hence the pink tone of the eggs? I also have another one laying purple eggs and again I was told it was a heavy bloom. The reason of the post was to understand how is a heavy bloom changing the colour of the egg.

I believe you are talking about pigment. Bloom is an invisible layer. Pigment can be multiple layers I believe.

Bloom can be heavier with some birds than others....but it's hard to tell/measure.
And the bloom is often what gives the pinkish purplish tint to an egg.
Thank you! I was told that by the breeder. However, if the bloom is invisible how can it affect the colour of the egg?

Back
Top Bottom