1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heavy Breeds.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken_boy_Kurt, Jun 28, 2012.

1. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Well, every other breed seems to have its own thread. But I don't think that each heavyweight breed has enough interest to get a thread going all by itself. But collectively I think we do. So we can use this thread for talking about our breed, posting pictures, etc.

I raise Saxonies. I'm hoping to start breeding when the drakes are mature (I have three mature hens, and a bunch of drakelings and ducklings). I try to show but I usually end up being too busy.

2. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I have two saxony females, and one jumbo pekin.....they are definetly heavy weights LOL

3. Missy60

Missy60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    I have a pekin but I'm not sure if she is jumbo or not. She looks heavy weight to me...lol.

[​IMG]

Sorry the mallards are not jumbo or even heavy weight at all. I love the heavy weight ducks they take waddling to a whole nuther level...lol

4. PetesMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I'll have to get a picture of my Jumbo today lol she's such a lard butt! And huge for 3 months old

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Silver Appleyards here. Big, chunky, happy guys.

I've had Pekins, too, and the heavy breeds have the best temperaments, Calm, sociable, not easily upset.

6. PetesMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I would LOVE Appleyards! Can never find any around here lol

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Appleyards here, love the sumo wrestlers that they are. We are growing the flock of them right now by leaps and bounds. Will make them out main flock when we get the numbers up enough.

8. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

For anyone curious my Storey's Guide lists these breeds as heavyweights:

Appleyards, Aylesbury, Muscvoy, Pekin, Rouen and Saxon.

Ducks over 9 pounds (or 4kg)

:D I have Pekins and I love their sassy mcsasserton butts. When they run - they make me giggle. They are so cute.

9. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I am also raising Pekins for a market 4-H project, and this just after raising Saxonies from duckling age. The Pekins are way more skittish and nervous than the Saxonies. I prefer the Saxonies...

10. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

I was considering some Saxonies next year, but having seen how big my Cayuga's (medium weight) are at just 12 weeks, I think I'll have to pass. I can't even imagine how big the heavies must be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by