Heavy Breeds.

For some reason I saved the baby bath tub from when my kids were babies (my oldest is 13). Don't ask me why. Just one of those things. Anyway, we let our 3 little Rouens (Curly, Nibbles, & Munchie) that are almost 2 weeks old outside (supervised) in the baby tub. They had just enough water to dunk their little heads yet stand if they got tired. It was soooo funny! They were blowin' bubbles, diving, & skipping through as fast as they could. It won't be long before they out grow the baby tub. This is our 1st time having ducks and we have enjoyed them so much. We hope we have some eggs to hatch next year. Their still to early to tell what they are yet. The crested one (Curly) is the most skittish but it is coming around. Munchie is the biggest and the leader and is very approachable. Nibbles is the middle one that nibbles on everything and likes to be held. I love my chicks and chickens, but we have had a blast with these Rouens. I will be getting some more next year.

When do the female rouens make their 1st quack? Mine are 2 weeks old this week and I swear one of them made a very funny quack this morning when I was feeding them. So, funny. I was just wondering if I was hearing things.

When do the female rouens make their 1st quack? Mine are 2 weeks old this week and I swear one of them made a very funny quack this morning when I was feeding them. So, funny. I was just wondering if I was hearing things.

My rouen will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and she and one of my khaki campbells have been making this squeaky toy like noise the last few days. It's early but I think it's their voices changing too.

We have french white scovy (cant wait to butcher them) and Silver Appleyards (along with our light weight Khaki Campbells). Below are a number of the SA of various ages free ranging for the summer with all of the other ducks and geese. They will all be split back up in August into separate pastures to collect hatching eggs again.

I love my ducks I have 15 (adult pair and their 13 offspring) White Muscovies, A pair of young colored muscovies (male blue bibbed, female chocolate ripple) I wanted standard colors but can't find them, also 9 White Pekins & I have 3 Silver Appleyards but am selling the last of them soon. I love my big fat ducks I also have skinny ducks 7 Mallards and 9 Welsh Harliquins

Here are my heavyweights, all girls
This is suzie the saxony

Ming Ming the Jumbo pekin (not that she's much bigger then the regular pekin but definelty wider)

All 3 girls together, Suzie, Ming Ming and Giggles
You're killing me! they are just too cute! Wait- there is no such thing as too cute...

I ordered Mostly heavy weight breeds for hatching from Metzer farms last night. I got Buff (only one) Pekin, F+W runner, and Black Swedish (only one of them, too)
Its an odd assortment but I love heavy breeds they are so cuddly so i had to get a lot. The runners were just because its funny to watch them run around!

What are some good treats for my rouen ducklings? They are 2 weeks old now and I can tell that they are getting very bored with their everyday routine. They are still to small to let outside with the chickens (I think may end up building a different pen for a short time). We take several short daily swims and I've started letting them get down and follow me around (when they will). They love picking through the grass so, we put some grass and grasshoppers in their water. That has been exciting for them and for us. But I'm wondering if they can have yogart or fruit. I give my chicks this and the ducks get left out. That seems so mean. I don't want to leave them out.

This is from the American Poultry Association website

Duck Classification

Heavy: Pekin, Aylesbury, Rouen, Muscovy, Appleyard, Saxony
Medium: Cayuga, Crested, Swedish, Buff
Light: Runner, Campbell, Magpie, Welsh Harlequins,
Bantam: Call, East Indies, Mallards

Back
Top Bottom