Hector's World: Adventures and Mayhem at Mountain View Poultry (or Sequel to The Evolution of Atlas

Pics
The asking price of a piece of real estate rarely has anything to do with what it sells for. 1. Sometimes the realtor will tell the client they're going to ask a figure they know is too high, just to get the contract.
2. Sometimes the client is in an upside down mortgage, and they don't want to take the loss, so they inflate the price.
3. The place is ready to go into foreclosure, and the realtor is trying to get the client out with enough money to pay off the mortgage, and move.
Usually in all the above situations, the house sits on the market, and doesn't sell. That's when the realtor usually starts suggesting the client consider taking the best of the lower offers, or listing it for less.
When we were house hunting, there were a couple places we considered, and put in a fair offer, which was quite a bit lower than what they were asking. They called back a couple months later saying they would accept our offer, if we still wanted the place.

One that comes to mind, had 5 acres, but only the 2.5 acres where the house, barn, and workshop were located, were high and dry. The rest stayed swampy when the summer rains came in. The square footage on the house was ok, but it was an older place, so it was not an open floor plan. All the rooms were compartmentalized. Still, with a couple easy modifications, we could get it opened up some, and make it work nicely. The A/C was old, and had to be replaced. Dh loved the barn, and workshop, so we put in a lowball bid, due to having to replace the A/C, and modifications to get it opened up, and modernized. They acted insulted.

The next day, I was looking at the county tax appraiser's website, and discovered something horrible. The adjoining 20 acres was owned by the daughter. At one time, she had owned the entire thing. She deeded the 5 acres to her parents, and built the home on it for them. So far so good. Remember me mentioning the front 2.5 acres were swampy when the summer rains came in? Well, they built a nice, long, paved driveway to the house, which was one of the selling points in the ad. BUT the driveway was NOT on the deeded part of the property. It was on the daughter's adjoining property. Since it was all in the family, it was no big deal. When selling the home, the portion the driveway was on, did not convey to the new owner, but they used it as a selling point, which isn't even legal. I was so glad they rejected our offer.

I did inform my realtor of the situation, since he was still showing the property to clients. He checked it out, and contacted their realtor about it. 2 months later, their realtor contacted us, and said they would accept our offer, if we were still interested, and the owner would sign a legal document allowing us use of the driveway for as long as she owned the adjoining property. Um, no thank you. That place sat on the market for over a year, until the owner went and legally conveyed the property the driveway sat on, and they got a LOT less than they were originally asking for it. Eventually, it was a pretty good deal for someone, but it took almost 2 years.

Most of the ones about to be foreclosed on had some serious damage. Holes in the roof, and water damage, meaning mold, was the most common. I have a good nose, and am usually aware of moldy, dank odors. The pictures would look good. Get to the home, and it would look pretty good at first, but there was that moldy odor. The room, or area where the hole was in the ceiling and roof, or the discoloration from water leakage showed in the ceiling, were NEVER in any of the pictures of the place, and never mentioned either. A few of them would say the place needed a little TLC. So this place has had a hole in the ceiling for over a year, a cheap tarp was put over the hole, and water was leaking into the ceiling, insulation, down the walls, all moldy, but it needs a LITTLE TLC? 6 months later it would be foreclosed on, and the price would drop to a pittance. Oh the joys of house hunting!

As a realtor for about 8 years, I know that the asking price darn well BETTER be close to comparable sales with adjustments for specifics or passing time and inflation since the last comp sold. No one just pulls that out of the air, unless they are incompetent. On very rare occasion, I have seen a price that made me think they priced it way above market so it would not sell, on purpose, for some unknown reason. Other than that, asking price if a realtor is involved, must be somewhat in line with comparable sales. What is hard is if there are no real comparables. My area is especially hard, I can tell. We have 4000 sf homes and 500 sf cabins on the same street in a big second home market.

There are some who play word games. I never did that. Why bother? Lookers get there and see that the realtor took tricky photos or downplayed the issues with the house. They cannot knowingly lie, supposedly, though I got tired of...I'll just say it...dealing with other cultures whose idea of good business was cheating you. That is ethical in their culture/country and ethics did not matter at all. I got sick of it because of foreign "ethics".

On the other hand, buyers cannot blame a realtor for every little thing they fail to research themselves or their own bad decisions. They don't look at the neighborhood, they don't look at the tax records of the property, they fail to hire an inspector before closing, etc. Public record stuff is not the realtor's responsibility.

As in everything, buyer be smart, buyer beware.

Since Hector has not been seen for awhile, here is my big goober, plus his new little 8 week old daughters, Maddie and Jane. Both are Jill's.
I thought it was really nice that a man who knows his stuff thought Hector was impressive enough to end his search for a replacement for his unexpectedly deceased Barred Rock rooster, enough to purchase all four of Hector's sons. He'll let them grow out, choose two to keep, and probably give the others to someone else to improve their stock, he said, if I recall the conversation correctly. I believe that if I had been ready to sell Hector himself, he would have taken Hector.

DSC02079.JPG
DSC02081.JPG
DSC02082.JPG
DSC02086.JPG
DSC02088.JPG
DSC02090.JPG
DSC02091.JPG

Oh, that Hector is "cruising for a bruising", as my mother would have said! I let them out to free range and went to the tree where my game camera is set up, bent down to open it to check the view screen and that rooster came running up to me, got right in my face, which was at his level. I am so sick of him doing that. I have no idea what he'd do if I didn't jump up, scold him and run him around in circles, but one day, I'll just brace myself and see if he crosses the line. If he does, well, you know how I feel about that. I am very fond of Hector, but he has this bad habit that irks me no end.

Oh, that Hector is "cruising for a bruising", as my mother would have said! I let them out to free range and went to the tree where my game camera is set up, bent down to open it to check the view screen and that rooster came running up to me, got right in my face, which was at his level. I am so sick of him doing that. I have no idea what he'd do if I didn't jump up, scold him and run him around in circles, but one day, I'll just brace myself and see if he crosses the line. If he does, well, you know how I feel about that. I am very fond of Hector, but he has this bad habit that irks me no end.
Naughty boy. Maybe he enjoys the game with you? Get chased by mom game? :)

Naughty boy. Maybe he enjoys the game with you? Get chased by mom game? :)

As much as he hates being picked up, maybe that's the solution-grab his fluffy rear end and snatch him up every time he does that. Might be some aversion therapy for him!

Cynthia, I have one that "rushes" me, and is happy to see me. He loves attention. He doesn't like being picked up, but if I sit, or squat down, he'll jump up on my leg, or on my shoulder for me to talk/sing to him, and he doesn't mind being petted. I too was leery at first, but he's never offered to hurt me in any way.

Cynthia, I have one that "rushes" me, and is happy to see me. He loves attention. He doesn't like being picked up, but if I sit, or squat down, he'll jump up on my leg, or on my shoulder for me to talk/sing to him, and he doesn't mind being petted. I too was leery at first, but he's never offered to hurt me in any way.

Hector will not jump on my leg or anything like that and maybe he's just being his weird version of sociable, but if someone else was at the receiving end of it who was not familiar with his history and his habits, they'd think he was attacking them for sure. Like yours, Hector has never flogged either of us, though from the outside looking at his actions, it sure looks like he's about to do it. He is such a goober! He loves petting when we go into his pen every morning and every evening before lockup, holds very still while I rub his chest and down his back. He's really very smart, but just so irritating!

Back
Top Bottom