Hedemora Fertile Hatching Eggs

After 5 days I see development in two of the eggs, and I gave the newest order of eggs to a frustrated OEG mama who lost all her silkie babies inshell. Keep fingers and toes crossed the weather holds for an October 5 hatch, I will try to convince her to take the 5 day olds too. I will have the heated penthouse suite ready for them
wink.png
. Also have a dozen speckled sussex hatching then, I must be mad
roll.png

It will be interesting to see if the 2 eggs hatch after spending 6 days in the mail. I let a cochin hatch some and every time someone sees them they fall in love with the chicks, I'm not sure what it is but they are really cute. Thank you for the update, btw your not mad, lol.
highfive.gif

The silkied gene is resessive, both parents have to have the gene for it to show in the chicks. The chicks you hatch out from the silkied hen will carry the silkied gene, but will be "normal" feathered. You can tell if a chick is silkied after a few days, when the feathers start coming out.

All Hedemora should be carrying the silkie gene. The feathers on a silkie Hedemora feel like a soft thick wool they are very efficient at holding in the heat. They call them woolies in Sweden. I have been hatching about 30% silkies but up to this point I have only used one silkie to one smooth in all of my breedings. At the moment I have 4 roosters of different colors and 2 are silkies increasing the chances of hatching silkies. They free range daily and get along fantastic so far....

Young Hedemora may not show affects from the heat any more than other chicken until they reach their adult stage when all of their under feathers have grown in. Although my Hedemora are housed on the edge of the woods I decided to trim their under feathers early spring which eliminated their issues with the high temperatures and, they have grown new feathers just in time for fall. I live in zone 6.

If they are allowed to free range they are very good at seeking out cool spots.

Edited 10/23/13

Last edited:
What color and type are your hens and roosters, and what types hatched from the folks who bought your eggs? My eggs all died unfortunately. I'm hoping people are able to get some genetic diversity from comparing whether their Greenfire Farms Hedemoras came from early or late arrivals birds from overseas. Hoping to hatch a batch from your hens and also some from somebody who got as earlier grouping from Greenfire....

Has the silkied roo matured yet and is he fathering the eggs soley? Also is it possible to just order eggs from the silkied hen? That way I at least know they r split to silkied and maybe the offspring bred together may produce some.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom