Hedemora Thread

Hedemora chicks 2 weeks
hugs.gif

I know this is an old post, but was wondering if you have updated photos of these unusually colored chicks?

Glad to see some activity here. How did you come into your three Hede's? I'm planning on setting eggs this weekend from an ebay purchase. I have a small flock of 4 cockerels and 7 pullets and want to try to increase my diversity a bit before going "all natural". That is, no selection (other than I can't keep all males), no incubation, all chicks hen raised, free ranging except for coop at night, trying to keep them a hardy landrace. This is my second go around with Hedemora. I quit the first time when I decided the hot summers here were changing the nature of the breed. But I missed them so decided that I will put a portable evaporative cooler connected to a garden hose out in the coop during July and August. (I guess that's not natural.) They run for pennies a day and are very effective in arid climates like CA. All my stock are from the same ebay source. I used to have some from other farms but its getting harder to find them, especially since I'm NPIP. I guess it may not matter that much as all Hedemora in the US came from Greenfire's two importations (my source has both) IMG_0807.JPG IMG_0813 4.JPG IMG_0803 5.JPG
and all Hedemora in the world came off one farm in Sweden. I inserted a few pictures of my birds. The first is a 10 month old pullet standing in front of a mixed flock. The next are two ten month old pullets, one a woolie with a sooty face, standing opposite a three month old pullet on the other side of the chicken wire. Finally a 10 month cockerel next to an older marans hen that pushes him around.

Mine are from an eBay purchase too. Lol! Maybe we are bidding against each other! I had some humidity issues near lockdown but hope I’ve ironed that out. My 3 little ones are all grey fluff balls still. Haven’t gotten good pictures yet. Your birds are beautiful! I’m in IA so may need to set up some sort of cooling system for them. We will see. Our weather isn’t as... normal as it used to be. For now they are living in the house. Looking forward to watching them grow up!

View attachment 1336091
Mine are from an eBay purchase too. Lol! Maybe we are bidding against each other! I had some humidity issues near lockdown but hope I’ve ironed that out. My 3 little ones are all grey fluff balls still. Haven’t gotten good pictures yet. Your birds are beautiful! I’m in IA so may need to set up some sort of cooling system for them. We will see. Our weather isn’t as... normal as it used to be. For now they are living in the house. Looking forward to watching them grow up!
I'm not quite sure how I copied your post. I hope you take some pictures and update the thread periodically. My eggs arrived this morning and I've starting incubating. I got a new incubator for Christmas. It's one of those midsize table top digital ones from China that are also all over Ebay. Aside from some odd design elements, like the egg turner being wired to the removable lid, it looks like it will be easy to use. I warmed it up and checked the temp reading against two mercury thermometers. Appeared to be spot on. It has a humidity reading with alarm. I left it in the Styrofoam box it shipped in for insulation, drilling out two small holes for what appear to be ventilation or adding water to the bottom of the plastic box. I set 23 eggs, we'll see what happens. I added a little to much water (66% humidity). Will take some practice to get it all down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom