Heeeeeeeeelp! Barred Rock lost her tail!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HappyClucker7, Jul 24, 2016.

1. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    Hi! My Barred Rock, Oreo has lost her tail and I don't know why. She had less and less feathers on her tail until she was just down to one. Then, one morning she had none. She seems healthy sonwahat could be the problem? Any comment?

Thanks!

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi! Mites can make them lose feathers, but since it's just the tail, I would guess that she's being picked on. Have you seen any of the other birds bully her at all?

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Molting?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    X 2? I have several who are losing their tail feathers in the beginning of their yearly molt.

5. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Pictures? My Roo recently lost all his tail feathers, but I'm pretty sure it was fighting off a predator because I had lost two chickens to it already .Also they (the tail feathers) were scattered around the pen and none of my other birds will even stand up to let alone challenge him!.
    [​IMG]

6. Feathyr

Feathyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Thirding this; all of my birds look terrible right now.

7. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    I was wondering if it was just molting. I never see any of the chickens bullying her so I don't think that, that is the case. I'll try to post some pitures. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by