Heeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!! Chickens too hot!

Too many, lol. We added more space (roost and poop board) under the fan as you can see in the picture below.

The chickens roost on the two 16 feet boards on both sides and in the back. So we have about 80 feet of roosting space for 60+ birds.
I'm in the process of culling the older birds and the few that constantly want to go broody.
We have 28 nests and they only use the top 7 on both sides. Had we known we would have just built single rows of nest boxes under
the poop boards on both sides the length of the coop.

Lol, I love your coop! What are the dimensions? Sorry if I'm bothering you :( just tell me if I am. But I really love it and would like to see more pics and the dimensions. Also did you buy it?

My husband ran cables across the yard and then we put the netting over the cables and attached to the fence with pull ties.
You can see the fan in the coop. During the day I tilt the fan down so that it blows toward the floor. I don't have a power outlet
in the coop itself so we bought a commercial grade extension cord that we run from our garage to inside the coop. Attached to that I have
a power bar with a timer set up for the light. The light ( a cheap shop light with a cord) comes on early in the morning and then goes off and doesn't come back on
again until right before dark and stays on long enough for them to get settled in for the night.
Oh my gosh I love this coop. Look how clean everything is. Pictures on the walls, curtains on the windows and bows on the nesting boxes. Wow.

Lol, I love your coop! What are the dimensions? Sorry if I'm bothering you
sad.png
just tell me if I am. But I really love it and would like to see more pics and the dimensions. Also did you buy it?
We didn't buy it, it was actually given to us. You can see more pictures under "My Coop" below my name. The coop is 16' by 10'. We cut out the windows on the side and the one in the door.
I clean the poop boards and any poo that gets on the floor every morning. That cleaning goes into our compost pile and eventually our garden.

Thank you for your kind words!

We're experienced with dehydration by chickens, and we lost one from dehydration about 2 weeks ago
sad.png
and it was a hard loss. One thing's for sure-definitely the electrolyte water is a life saver, but u have to make sure they're drinking it! Many weak and panting chickens don't even have the energy to bring themselves to drink. Sometimes taking some in a medicine dropper and the like and slowly alowing drop by drop for them to swallow every 20-30 min or so should put them back in action in a few hours. As soon as you see that they start eating by themselves and drinking by themselves, that means that they're doing good. I hope yours arent getting to as bad as mine did! Mine were out of it during dehydration when it was cool too! The main point is to make sure they are constantly getting some source of liquid, and at this hard time of heat for them, definitely prepare the easy to make electrolyte water mix and give it to them here and there to make sure they could hold out the heat. This site has the recipe towards the bottom of this article- https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 and that's how I saved one of mine recently. Just a suggestion-in the article it says brown sugar, which is definitely a healthier choice than white sugar, but mine didn't go near it, probably because it looked dirty, so better off using white. Much success!

I'm so sorry about your chicken cukuriku. I make sure that they have cool water at all times. I sometimes even put some ice in their water when it gets really hot. They are eating and drinking by themselves so it is not as bad as that. One other question. Does being too hot, effect how chickens lay eggs?

I'm so sorry about your chicken cukuriku. I make sure that they have cool water at all times. I sometimes even put some ice in their water when it gets really hot. They are eating and drinking by themselves so it is not as bad as that. One other question. Does being too hot, effect how chickens lay eggs?
Sorry i cant answer than one, I'm not up to laying eggs with mine yet...but I'm sure others have good answers. Well every1? Any1 got answers for HappyClucker7? Truthfully, you'd probably faster get answers on this one in the forums about laying eggs, check it out, and you'll probably get answers quicker. Have much success!

Back
Top Bottom