1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hegari

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenman111, Mar 18, 2013.

1. chickenman111

chickenman111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok I have done some research into Hegari (pronounced Hygear) it is a Sorghum grain good in calcium, and protein, the problem is it has about 1 percent iron. will feeding it to my chickens cause problems or is it to little to worry about. also I was wondering can you feed it to them dried. I know that my Great Aunt said that her dad used to cut off the hegari heads and toss it to the chickens but I was wondering if I could grow large amounts and dry it for further use.

Thanks

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If you plan on using this as a primary food, you might check with your local cooperative extension service to see if it is balanced enough for the chickens.

I don't know it large amounts of iron in the diet can be problematic or not. The label on my bag of feed doesn't show iron as being present at all. I guess that means that there is not enough in it to show on the label.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by