Height for jumbo coturnix brooder

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm picking up 25 two week old jumbos this weekend and had planned on putting them in the biggest box I have for a brooder. Its about four feet tall and I have a section of leftover cedar lattice fence that rests over the top to prevent escapees. Is this a risk for head injury in case of startle? Thanks in advance for any advice!

4 feet tall should do it for chicks. They don't start bouncing off the ceiling till they get outside and get scared of the out door critters and things that go bump in the night.

Once they are full grown, if you keep them in cages or pens, go with a one foot ceiling. For aviaries, 6+ feet works well.

Enjoy your soon to be new babies!

Thank you Two Crows! I'm so glad to hear it'll work. The hutches I'm building are definitely going to be a maximum height of twelve inches. I appreciate the good wishes. I'm looking forward to my new little ones!

They should be safe from injury as chicks since they can't get enough momentum to do damage. However be careful if your lattice has holes big enough for the chicks to fly through. They can popcorn up by two weeks and enjoy trying out their wings!

Back
Top Bottom