Plans for warm-weather outdoor setup on the ground. Am I missing anything?

Phlighter

Chirping
Dec 18, 2022
I have been raising jumbo coturnix quail for a couple years now in cages with good results. However, I have a limited number of cages to work with and a limited budget as well. So to produce more and put some in the freezer, I am planning to expand into a warm-weather pen using a wooden framed net enclosure. The ground they will be on is grass and sand - there will be no mud ever and no issue with standing water. The 4 large white pine trees I have give me plenty of needles for flooring/bedding. I did have to remove a healthy black rat snake 3 times last year from my outdoor cages. The cages are snake proof - the pen will not be. So that is a risk accepted. I have a couple of plastic barrels I can cut in half length ways and open one end for cover. I will place water and feed on concrete pavers so they are off the ground. I plan to put the feeders in a tote that's upside down with a large door in the side and vents along the top edge so it's out of the weather. The size I'm planning will be about 6x6x12 feet so I'm thinking I'll add some more shade as well. They'll be in full sun from morning through mid-day, then shaded the rest of the day. The netting I have already is polypropylene (plastic) with 3/4 inch squares. I can't afford the expensive woven stuff. This may last only a year, but, it was cheap enough that I'm ok with that. It's plenty strong, but, I do worry about visibility. Will they learn the boundaries before they break a neck? I figure this setup will house maybe 40 birds at a time at most since my hatches are fairly small.

I'm hoping for advice and feedback on this plan before I misstep too far. Thanks.

If it's netting, there should be enough bounce so your birds won't break their necks. If the height is 6', there wouldn't be any danger regardless. They usually aren't going fast enough to do any damage by the time they get 6' up.

If it's light enough and strong enough, you may consider moving it every few months to save on cleaning. The quail will make a mess of the area they're in, you move it to a new place and what they've left will decompost/compost on its own.

It sounds workable. Please post pics!

This is relevant. I'm still in the construction phase, but, keeping quail in a coop prompted me to seek a catch net. I didn't need that with cages as escapes are rare and quail are not very good fliers. So anyway, I bought this net and I'd just like to say it suits the purpose well. I don't know if I'd like it for fishing as was the original intent, but for quail, I like it. And I got mine for less than $14 on ebay.
1713994505884.png

Back
Top Bottom