Height of nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gkeesling, Feb 8, 2009.

1. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I am new to chickens and looking for a little advice. My 12 BR, and 7 RIR are 13 weeks old. I started building the nest boxes. I put 2 boxes at 20 inches above the floor. My plan was to put two more above the first two but, as I looked at them I wondered if it wouldn't be better to put the second set under the first set. This would make the lower set to be about 6 inches off the floor of the coop and the upper set being 20 inches above the floor. Is this an ok idea, or should I put the second set of boxes above the ones that are 20" off the floor. I thought that would make them awfully high. Looking forward to getting feedback.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Usually "they" say the first set of nesting boxes should be about 14 in off the floor. I would think the chickens can still get to the top row. If you can, it might be best to move them down now and avoid it becoming a problem later. If you leave 14 in from the floor, it still gives the chickens the floor room . If you move it just 6 in off the floor, you are taking away floor room, which comes in handy during the long winters when they are locked in the coop.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by